Author Topic: Otoplasty to reduce scapha / helix  (Read 5927 times)

Offline dave

• View Profile
Otoplasty to reduce scapha / helix
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:11:41 PM »
I am looking to find a skilled surgeon - similar skill sets and experience as Dr. Bermant.  Unfortunately, I recently learned of his retirement.  Any insight / input? 

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Otoplasty to reduce scapha / helix
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
I am looking to find a skilled surgeon - similar skill sets and experience as Dr. Bermant.  Unfortunately, I recently learned of his retirement.  Any insight / input?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum.

Macrotia Big Ear Reduction Otoplasty is its own special skill set to a variety of problems and different solutions. Here is a Big Ear Before After Picture Gallery to show some of this variety. The Scaphoid Ear is so distinct, but comes in different degrees. How the scapha and helix are managed are part of the art of this surgery which also includes which ears should have the operation.

You are welcome to use our resources How to Pick an Otoplasty Surgeon and How to Evaluate Ear Before and After Pictures. In this case, look for specific ear reduction surgery skills. Here are additional tools for Picking a Plastic Surgeon.

Posting Standard Ear Pictures can let others better understand your concerns. This site is designed for those to share what bothers them and for those with a passion for that concern to show their experience. We are trying to empower the public with the tools to show their problems and attract surgeons with those skills to respond with a demonstration of their work, links to examples of how their methods were able to address that deformity.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Otoplasty to reduce scapha / helix
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 02:43:04 PM »

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum.

Macrotia Big Ear Reduction Otoplasty is its own special skill set to a variety of problems and different solutions. Here is a Big Ear Before After Picture Gallery to show some of this variety. The Scaphoid Ear is so distinct, but comes in different degrees. How the scapha and helix are managed are part of the art of this surgery which also includes which ears should have the operation.

You are welcome to use our resources How to Pick an Otoplasty Surgeon and How to Evaluate Ear Before and After Pictures. In this case, look for specific ear reduction surgery skills. Here are additional tools for Picking a Plastic Surgeon.

Posting Standard Ear Pictures can let others better understand your concerns. This site is designed for those to share what bothers them and for those with a passion for that concern to show their experience. We are trying to empower the public with the tools to show their problems and attract surgeons with those skills to respond with a demonstration of their work, links to examples of how their methods were able to address that deformity.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

After much research and actually conducting a phone consultation with you, I was sad to see that you've since retired your surgical practice.  I had initially visited with you a couple of years ago about the Scapha / Helix Reduction and Hatch Suture Otoplasty.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to conduct my surgery at that time.  My full intent was to seek your assistance simply due to your level of experience and your great pride in your skill.  I am looking to have the surgery conducted, but am at a loss as to where to begin my search for a suitable and skilled surgeon.  Any insight / input you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your kind words, sorry we were not able to proceed further with the education about your options or surgery if indicated. I now only share my knowledge and discuss issues here on public forums. These resources discussed in this post are my efforts at an evolving series of resources to empower the public with tools to do just that: a place to start and understand skills beyond marketing hype.

Posting images here and comparing them to examples from the forum, my Encyclopedia, and links from others who have build resources with problems / solutions is an extension of that empowerment.

The Hatch Suture Otoplasty Component is something I rarely needed, but it was an element in reserve for balancing the ear during my sculpture. During my In Office Consultation for Otoplasty after my examination of the ear, would that determination be made. I could not predict that component without seeing how the ear reacted as other more common elements were done first. I can remember a few times that I found the top of the ear would not come back on its own and predicted its use before surgery. More commonly its use was part of my Otoplasty Dynamic Technique and evolving the operation to include what was needed, covered during a general discussion, but used only as needed during surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates