Author Topic: FTM Female To Male Forum - Chest Contouring? Searching 4 Mastectomy Surgeon  (Read 7585 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Good evening,

I'm a FTM person who is in search for a surgeon to perform a mastectomy .

I was wondering if you could please explain what " chest contouring" is? I was wondering if I had this procedure done without that the chances of me developing gynecomastia later on?

Thanks,

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Mastectomy or breast removal is a generic term for an operation that can have many reasons for needing to be done. Mastectomy for breast cancer, dead or infected tissue has a different goal: getting rid of the unwanted process. Scars for just a mastectomy can be quite brutal especially when done by a general surgeon without the additional reconstructive tools gained by the additional experience with Plastic Surgery training.

When Mastectomy is done for a woman who started with breasts and wants to have them back, the goal then becomes Breast Reconstruction attempting to restore the external contours of Female Breast Anatomy with tissue or a prosthetic. Someday that may change and we would be able to give back more of the normal anatomy and function, but today that is just science fiction.

Chest Contouring
For the Transgender Surgery individual looking to establish a normal male contour, the operation is quite different from a Female Breast Reconstruction, ergo my term Chest Contouring. The goal is not just removing a breast Mastectomy, but having a new male chest contour. There is no difference in a FTM Top Surgery goal from removing a female breast from a male with gynecomastia for the sculpture. We are trying for a male contour, not just a mastectomy scar deformity.

FTM Ethic Issues
There is only the ethical issues about XX vs XY gender beautifully formalized by Harry Benjamin and now carried out by the  The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH). Surgeons have an obligation to protect those who are not yet sure for a life change before an operation is done that is difficult to reverse. Formalizing this protective path is so much better than trying to changes that may not be easily achieved. We try to minimize the problems such as seen in this MTFTM male to female to male situation described in this Transgender Surgery Video.

Gynecomastia Male Chest Contouring can take many forms for both men and those seeking Top Surgery depending on the size of gland, fat, excess skin, the components of the Anatomy of Gynecomastia

Finding a surgeon for FTM is only different than How to Pick Gynecomastia Surgeon in that one needs to check for examples of the surgeon's skills with the specific breast contour problem and that they are knowledgeable protecting the possible individual who may not be sure about surgery that does not have easy reversal options. Since many FTM have excess skin issues, the Standard Pictures for Male Mastopexy Excess Skin of the Male Chest and Male Chest Standard Videos are more critical in evaluating the problems and skill of the solution in how the tissues move and hang in real life. One can never really be sure how tissues look in real life when only exposed to standing upright hands down at sides is the only information given.

Surgery does not prevent new breast growth. If a FTM individual gets exposed to factors causing breast growth, just like the gynecomastia surgery individual, new breasts can grow: Gynecomastia Revision Forum - Should Surgery Prevent Recurrence? Growing Again. Shreds of tissue remain behind, it is part of the anatomy of the human body interacting with hormones. So if a FTM gets pregnant or is exposed to breast.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Transgender Top Surgery for Male Chest Reconstruction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates