Author Topic: after gyno surgery  (Read 9646 times)

Offline bobsap123

• View Profile
after gyno surgery
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:32:44 AM »
hello, sir ive had a gynocomastia surgery done on one side on 2th of july and its now a month and half further and i still dont see any difference, my surgeon told me it could take a few months to see full results but what bothers me is that i feel something hard under the nipple which feels exactly like the breast tissue i had before surgery? is this normal? i would be very pleased if i could get an answer

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: after gyno surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:22:35 AM »
hello, sir ive had a gynocomastia surgery done on one side on 2th of july and its now a month and half further and i still dont see any difference, my surgeon told me it could take a few months to see full results but what bothers me is that i feel something hard under the nipple which feels exactly like the breast tissue i had before surgery? is this normal? i would be very pleased if i could get an answer

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum and discussion group. Doesn't it feel good to be on the other side?

Just how tissues evolve and Healing After Gynecomastia depends on the original problem, what was done, skill of the surgeon, after surgery care, and many other factors.

I preferred techniques where the Surgical Results were visible right on the operating table. Contour documentation is simple, that is the premise of my Standard Gynecomastia Pictures. Document the contour before surgery, and see it right after documenting the changes as the tissue was healing. This typically meant the patient and I were reviewing the results the day after surgery or so and at the dressing removal about a week later when possible. Check out our set up for the Male Nipple Exam and you can see the pictures right up on the wall and the patient reviewing them with me in front of a mirror. Once the dressing was off, I could measure the nipple change and show what had been accomplished by that time of the exam.

Here are typical results with my techniques showing this form of documentation: Bruising Swelling and Healing Gallery After Gynecomastia Surgery. By showing the transition from before, to after, my patients were more aware of what other patients normally went through after surgery.

The problem is that not all surgeons have the same skills nor use the same methods. Some methods leave the patient so bruised and swollen, that it can take months to a year or more to see the result. So what is "normal" for one surgeon may not be normal for another. That is why it is so critical to see what a surgeon's results are like, not just before and after, but also the transition in between to establish a time frame of what to expect. That is why I wrote How to Evaluate Before and After Pictures and more specifically for male chest surgery: How to Evaluate Gynecomastia Before and After Pictures. Complications can change the time factor for healing.

Injured tissues heal starting with firmness just like any cut. Part of the issue is just how much was injured. Just as with cuts, the worse the injury, the longer to heal. I know of no way to measure firmness evolution after surgery other than to show how the tissues move. Scared and badly injured tissues just do not move as well as soft natural tissues. I evolved my methods based on trying to minimize the trauma to my sculpted tissues. Less bruising and swelling meant I was doing better, my patients were healing faster. My Pictures to Evaluate Gynecomastia Scars and Deformity adds views to show how tissues move, scarring factors and can show swelling issues because of the poorer movement seen in swelling. I developed that series to better evaluate those coming to me for revision surgery.

But pictures do not show how firm something feels. Scar tissue, swelling, and gland can all feel the same.

Questions to consider after surgery include among others: Does the contour look like the pictures of the surgeon's after surgery results? Does the contour look like the early after surgery transition for that surgeon's methods?

You are welcome to post your pictures here in this forum. That is one way so that others can better understand your concerns. As discussed, he Standard After Gynecomastia Set best shows movement issues and scar factors. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline bobsap123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:19:18 AM »
so i shall give a explanation, sorry sir my english isnt that good, at the down side of my nipple the surgeon cut an inch and removed the gland he said, so its actually normal that i dont see any difference because its too early?

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:11:14 AM »
so i shall give a explanation, sorry sir my english isnt that good, at the down side of my nipple the surgeon cut an inch and removed the gland he said, so its actually normal that i dont see any difference because its too early?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Try the page translation tools, google translate found near the top of the page. That might help with my descriptions and posts. Not sure about posting in other languages, but that it what is is for. Forum posts in English might be the best way, but am open to ideas and attempts to use that tool.

Sorry, but the day after surgery my patients were able to see results as I have demonstrated, typical results for my work and my patients. Yet, not all doctors use the same methods. I preferred to target the gland first with my Dynamic Technique. The size of the gland varied. You can see many different examples in this Gynecomastia Gland Picture Gallery. When not dealing with excess skin the gland was typically removed from a tiny incision at the edge of the nipple areola. You can watch a video of me performing this surgery on YouTube, but here is the version here with explanation. Gynecomastia Surgery Video. But I see I will have to update the video getting rid of the Flash version as times have changed again for video format needs.

Yes, the results I have shown, including the progression for healing, were typical for my methods and my patients. That is why we compared the before pictures with the patient in front of the mirror to validate and see what the changes were. The pictures and videos were then the documentation. But if other methods result in more swelling, bruising, and tissue damage, then it can take quite a bit longer before results might be seen with that technique. But that is why seeing the in between views for a particular method can be so helpful for a patient planning surgery. So for my patients without complications, no that would not be normal to have no change even the day after surgery except for the refinement subtle gynecomastia cases. Then even a minimally bruising technique needs time to see the definition of the animation views, but the static views looked good from the start.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline bobsap123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 08:58:10 AM »
yes maybe when you are doing it that is possible because you was a good plastic surgeon but mines was just a surgeon from a gouvernment hospital in the netherlands. so he could never be close to your surgeries but he told me its normal that you feel something hard under your nipple, but im freaking out because i waited 6 years before to do this surgery since im 12 i waited. and i hope i wont have to do another surgery

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:37:17 PM »
yes maybe when you are doing it that is possible because you was a good plastic surgeon but mines was just a surgeon from a gouvernment hospital in the netherlands. so he could never be close to your surgeries but he told me its normal that you feel something hard under your nipple, but im freaking out because i waited 6 years before to do this surgery since im 12 i waited. and i hope i wont have to do another surgery

I did see many patients from around the world who preferred my techniques. Retired, that is no longer possible.

Why not post your own before and after pictures to help others understand your concerns and disappointment in the contour results? Maybe there are no contour issues, just the firm healing tissues waiting to heal over time. Documenting the contour condition now and then following it with your own sequential photos of videos is one way to see if there is improvement or the problem has stabilized. I just saw a post from someone claiming his surgeon was great. He just had to wait a year until the swelling went down enough to see the results finally. Not my idea of a great method that takes so long to see results, but that is the power of my own monitoring my methods and evolving my technique to minimize the time to see results. One wonders why surgeons just show the progression of healing for their methods.

I have seen many different types of problems after surgery done elsewhere. My Standard After Gynecomastia Pictures is a tool to critically document contour issues. One cannot travel back in time to take such images before surgery. However, better surgeons take before surgery images. Getting a copy of them for your comparison and or posting is another option.

If you do need a revision surgery, try to learn what happened to prevent further problems. I built our Resource on How to Pick a Gynecomastia Surgeon. Review it to see if there was anything that you might have done differently or perhaps what you may need to do if a revision is needed. Revision surgery is more complex and demanding. Some surgeons can make the problem worse as in this example of Failed Revision Gynecomastia Surgery. The patient had come to me after his first operation. I sent him off to get an underlying hormone problem stabilized, and he did the revision in NY closer to home. He then came back to me to see if I could fix the deformity made by the second surgeon. But no, the resources were gone.  Convenience is nice unless it makes for a lesser result.

Tissues typically need to heal before considering revision. Being patient, documenting the problem and possible progress are options to consider.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline bobsap123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
sir i really want to thank you for doing so much for people. and i wanted to ask you another question, its now 6 weeks ago i had surgery and i am considering taking propecia and my question is how much should i wait before using it. im planning to use it in end december

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 06:33:49 PM »
sir i really want to thank you for doing so much for people. and i wanted to ask you another question, its now 6 weeks ago i had surgery and i am considering taking propecia and my question is how much should i wait before using it. im planning to use it in end december

Such information should come from the operating surgeon and the doctor prescribing the medication. The recovery process from different surgeons and surgical techniques really does vary that much.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates