Author Topic: OTOPLASTY in canada/USA?  (Read 7940 times)

Offline kky_otoplasty

• View Profile
OTOPLASTY in canada/USA?
« on: August 26, 2012, 01:53:28 PM »
Hello,

My name is Kevin and so glad I found this site!

I am looking into otoplasty to pin back my ears.  I live in Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada, and I would really like to find a good doctor. Any suggestions?

I am very sad that Dr. Bermant has retired... but perhaps he would have some suggestions? Please and thank you!

Kevin

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: OTOPLASTY in canada/USA?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 04:49:42 PM »
Hello,

My name is Kevin and so glad I found this site!

I am looking into otoplasty to pin back my ears.  I live in Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada, and I would really like to find a good doctor. Any suggestions?

I am very sad that Dr. Bermant has retired... but perhaps he would have some suggestions? Please and thank you!

Kevin

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum.

Pinback Otoplasty is one of many possible components of ear plastic surgery and usually best done addressing the specific deformities causing the problem. A one treatment fits all problems just does not work well.

I have designed this resource on How to Find Your Otoplasty Surgeon for those looking for help. It is basically looking for an artist by reviewing that artist's work. Beyond that there are other tools here How to Pick A Plastic Surgeon. The third is this forum itself as members contribute further experiences and share with others.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline BelaWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:22:53 AM »
USA would be preferable over Canada !
Ultimately experience of surgeon matters a lot !!!

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:27:02 AM »
USA would be preferable over Canada !
Ultimately experience of surgeon matters a lot !!!

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

But why limit the search. The world of travel couples with better online documentation of what a doctor truly offers, opens up a much larger group of experts to choose from. When I was an Intern in General Surgery, I was amazed learning from a great pair of ENT surgeons Robert C. Eberle, M.D. and John Conley, M.D.. It was great. Patients came from around the world to see them, it was quite a show for H&N cancer surgery I was learning from.

John Conley, M.D. ENT Otolaryngologist and Head / Neck Surgeon.
 I am going to have to get one of my 35mm slides of Bob, could not find an image of him online. Back back to the story, 34 years ago, I was seeing amazing cases of every imaginable head and neck tumor coming through their service. They came for their experience.

My early otoplasty learning dated back even earlier, back at Northwestern University, most likely with Desmond Kernahan, M.D. and his Pediatric Plastic Surgery Practice born in New Zealand approaching 4 decades ago.

Desmond Kernahan, M.D. Plastic Surgeon
I was a groupie medical student hanging around the entire Northwestern Plastic Surgery group.

I never had a clue that I would someday have the similar experiences of patients traveling to see me. The Internet became the great equalizer. I could put up my Standard Pictures and Videos and detailed analysis of problems and surgical solutions showing what I was offering. Some of the sections dwarf what I could find in the literature, part of the reason, I built them. The patients were coming from all over the place. Some of the locations I had never heard of. Later in my career, Google maps offered a satellite perspective for staff and myself where the patient had traveled from.  Both tiny villages, mega cities, and everything in between. Time zones played a factor when dealing with patients from the opposite side of the planet, finding convenient times for elective discussions became an art of the office staff. Check out the website to see many such examples of this travel. It is not just building a website, it is also showing what my specific sculpture skills and paths patients were taking for recovery that were factors.

So limiting oneself to a city, state, or country is great if the skills meet the needs, but why not expand the search for the skills a problem needs?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline kky_otoplasty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »
Hello Doctor Bermant,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been away for a bit. But thanks for the advice. I have decided to go ahead with the procedure and choosing between 2 doctors at the moment (both from Canada).

I was just wondering, one of them mentioned that they would remove a bit of cartilage from my ear so that it bends properly, would you happen to know of this method of treatment? I'm just worried that removing cartilage would have any side effects.

Thanks so much,
Kevin

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 12:11:34 AM »
Hello Doctor Bermant,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been away for a bit. But thanks for the advice. I have decided to go ahead with the procedure and choosing between 2 doctors at the moment (both from Canada).

I was just wondering, one of them mentioned that they would remove a bit of cartilage from my ear so that it bends properly, would you happen to know of this method of treatment? I'm just worried that removing cartilage would have any side effects.

Thanks so much,
Kevin

Sorry, none of this should be used as medial advice. I am just sharing my experiences and knowledge. Saying something works and seeing what that translates into can be quite entertaining as in Here is Mona Lisa:

Not All Surgeon Have Same Skills Nor Use Same Techniques

or this revisited cartoon:

That is why I prefer to see problems and surgical solutions skills better analyzed with things like my Standard Pictures for Otoplasty Ear. However, ear revision surgery is rare and not all surgeons can show a large collection of cases which then becomes looking how they manage normal ear contouring. I personally did not like the removal cartilage method for my ear surgery unless I had to as in the Macrotia Reduction Ear Surgery contours where size and excess cartilage were essential factors for shaping. There are quite a few examples where cartilage removal are clearly discussed if you had bothered to look carefully. Even going to our Plastic Surgery Search Engine and entering

Remove Cartilage Ear

brings up a large collection of my use of removal methods from the sites. So to ask me if I am familiar with cartilage removal, brings up the question how closely are you examining the other doctor's methods or just letting them decide what to do? The idea is to see for yourself and learn what someone offers before just hoping doc is awesome and anything touches is going to turn out wonderful. That may happen, but if it does not, why? What were the skills like and typical results? While no surgeon can guarantee results, I try to put up typical outcomes so my patients could have realistic expectations about a surgery of a fickle material cartilage.

I also preferred to approach my ear sculpture with my Dynamic Technique for Otoplasty going into the operating room with a series of options, the subset chosen depended on what I found and sometimes I had to try several different methods with increasing destructive components until I got what I needed. I rarely started with the destructive one first as the more destructive the method, the less reliable the result stayed that way in my opinion. That is the nature of working on fickle cartilage. The more it is injured, the less one is able to predict how it will stay.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates