Author Topic: Ptosis caused by eyebrow threading???  (Read 6891 times)

Offline MzMichi

• View Profile
Ptosis caused by eyebrow threading???
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »
Do you believe ptosis could be caused by eyebrow threading?  I am 43 years young :) I noticed both my lids droopy and puffy after my threading appt. Or is this a part of aging?

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Ptosis caused by eyebrow threading???
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
Do you believe ptosis could be caused by eyebrow threading?  I am 43 years young :) I noticed both my lids droopy and puffy after my threading appt. Or is this a part of aging?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our discussion group.

Theoretically anything is possible with trauma to nerves controlling brow function, but unlikely for cotton threads pulling on eyebrow hairs. All bets are off if cautery or electric current is used as the facial nerve for innervation is superficial near the brow. Drooping of the brow from trauma to that nerve does happen with blows to the face. Here is one such example Coronal Brow Lift to correct Eyelid and Brow Ptosis (Drooping) from Partial Paralysis of Left Brow.

What is more likely is the awareness of what is seen in the mirror can get a new evaluation when checking for something else, like the shape of the brows. That is the neat thing about photographic documentation or better yet videos.

Eyelid Ptosis can have many possible causes, aging is possibly the most common with the aging brow overloading the lid muscle function.

Testing Eye Muscle Function can be tricky to block the brow to see what the lid can do.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline BelaWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:26:40 AM »
Thanks for such a informative post ! It helps a lot to young surgeons undergoing internship in surgical procedures. Keep posting, Sir.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:21:55 AM by DrBermant »

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 02:26:51 AM »
Thanks for such a informative post ! It helps a lot to young surgeons undergoing internship in surgical procedures. Keep posting, Sir.

Thank you, I have been trying to help teach about Plastic Surgery online for more than 2 decades now and have built up quite a bit of content once I decided to write my own pages to preserve my contributions. Learn how to Pick A Plastic Surgeon to validate credentials and what they offer.

It really is an issue of how patients really look like living life, not just in a still photograph as discussed in this thread (pun intended) since eyebrow and forehead look abnormalities pull our eyes to look at the features during conversation and facial expressions.

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Explore our Plastic Surgery Forum
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates