Author Topic: Otoplasty Forum - What Age Cleft Earlobe Deformity Surgery - Houston Referral?  (Read 7000 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Dear Dr Bermant,

My 8 months baby has Congenital Cleft Earlobe defect, as I  found out a proper name on your website  (thank you for posting pictures).
Could you please suggest:
 1. the best age to cosmetically repair his ear, preferably without full anesthesia, and
2. a good surgeon in Houston for the job.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR WORK AND HELP.

I hope that you  are enjoying your free time.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Thank you for your kind words.

We saw many young patients over the years. I posted a few of their  Pediatric Plastic Surgery Patient Experiences Through Drawings.

Congenital Cleft Earlobe repair in the newborn has an advantage of better newborn healing for scars, but the tissues are tiny and patient cooperation is not possible. When I was in practice in my opinion, the risks outweighed the benefit for an elective cosmetic deformity. I preferred to wait until the age when the child was bothered by the problem. This typically hapened at an age of socialization and the teasing at school. Something like what happened in Inhereting Big Ears Clark Gable's Daughter's OtoplastyOtoplasty Complications can and do happen. Patient cooperation is such a valuable tool, making the operation so much easier, enabling local anesthesia option, and lowers the risks considerably when the patient can cooperate with after surgery care. Yet, I do like the advantages of newborn healing and lowering the social stigmata of cosmetic deformities. So each deformity and problem was individualized for my Pediatric Plastic Surgery patients.

Here are our resources on How to Pick Otoplasty Surgeon. In this case, it would be better to see their specific skills in Earlobe Reconstructive Surgery. Some consider this trivial surgery, but unless meticulous repair is done, the results just do not look as good. That is why seeing examples of what a specific surgeon offers is better than blindly hoping they have the passion. However, congenital cleft earlobes are rare, so at least seeing earlobe repairs in conjunction with examples of more complex Otoplasty surgery or total ear reconstruction are potential advantages.

You are welcome to join in the discussion here on the forum. Share your experiences as a parent, concerns, and details of the deformity. That is one tool to help with public education and perhaps lower the social teasing about ear problems.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates