Author Topic: After Gynecomastia Surgery - Doc Injected Steroid to Hinder Scar Buildup  (Read 5165 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
thanks for all the info, im 4 months post op and i had revision surgery to excise scar tissue and im paranoid now more than ever that itll happen again, but my doctor (x) injected a sort of steroid this time to hinder scar tissue buildup

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Surgery heals with a scar, it is part of the body's natural response to injury. That is why I reviewed and evolved my technique with Standard Before and After Pictures or even more critically with Standard Gynecomastia Videos. Scar prevention starts with the surgical technique. Scars and residual gland just do not move like normal tissue. By reviewing such details I was able to evolve my methods to minimize the injury process and improve what I was doing over the years. But scars go way beyond surgeons tools and techniques, it extends to what is done after surgery.

Quote from: DrBermant
Each surgeon has his / her own method. With a good After Gynecomastia Surgery Compression Garment, I can avoid the use of drains (tubes for sucking out extra fluid and keeping tissues compressed by sucking them down). The drains are much more uncomfortable, riskier for infection, and often need another incision for the drain to exit. Drains can become necessary with any surgery. I find that for my gynecomastia surgery they are needed about one time every 1 to 3 years and I work with up to 8 gynecomastia patients a day.

To evaluate if a particular doctor's method is better look at both the result in animation (flexing muscles), different angles, and what path the patient took to get there. Those who tend to use drains for most gynecomastia surgery seem to be dealing with much more bruising and bleeding problems. Look for early after surgery pictures of that doctors to compare to my typical Bruising and Swelling After Gynecomastia. The vests are a component of what it takes me to achieve that result.

The garment also is a major contributing factor to Comfort After Gynecomastia Surgery. Although I prescribe a strong pain medication, almost all of my patients tell me that plain Tylenol alone is more than enough for comfort.

I used interval documentation to monitor things like swelling, bruising. I found I was getting better results (they moved and looked better) when I was decreasing the bruising and swelling, my interpretation, less injury to heal. We also changed to mandatory the use of the Second Stage Compression Garment. My patients who were using both the First Stage Compression Vest After Surgery and second stage were just doing better. So I changed the use from optional to mandatory (the first stage was always mandatory.

I also preferred to individualized Scar Care instructions for each patient. It was very rare for me to need to use Steroid Injections to the scar. So rare that we were reordering unopened soon to be expired medication just to keep it on hand. The neat thing was finding the bottle unopened not used for the shelf life each time we maintaining inventory.

This is the process of critical documentation, analysis, and evolving methods. So scar injections can help, but I preferred prevention. But each surgeon has his/her own ways. One option is to take your own pictures to document the condition now. Then monitor the progress over time. But the documentation is best when at least my Standard Set of Images is used. The videos are more difficult to standardize, match the shot for the before after.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates