//pvii begin //pvii end

Author Topic: Liposuction Forum - Do You Have to be a Certain Weight to Have Liposuction?  (Read 6461 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
DrBermant do you have to be a certain weight to have liposuction?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

The question is in itself the answer. Plastic Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight discussed here:

Tummy tuck is not an alternative to losing weight.  Where weight comes from is unpredictable as is where it will go back onto.  Excess fat is also typically behind the belly wall.  After further major weight loss, tissues can again loosen.  I typically recommend getting to a weight a patient will be happy, and then sculpt the body.  I have patients who have lost weight after surgery and their skin adjusted just fine.  However, the problem is how will any one individual change with further weight loss.

I do not offer total body fat reduction surgery. Plastic Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

That quote was from email I have sent out over the years trying to help others learn about the limitations of Plastic Surgery. It is not an alternative to losing weight. It is not a quick fix for those with problems of global fat. Yet, I have heard from so many asking for help after surgery done elsewhere, unhappy that the results did not achieve what they wanted, or worse, that after then losing weight, the loose skin problems came back.

This has come up in posts over and over again:

Weight Loss Forum - Gynecomastia Surgery not alternative to Losing Weight

Liposuction Forum - Liposuction Not Alternative for Global Fat Issues

Weight Loss Forum - Lost 100 Pounds On My Own Did Not Want Gastric Bypass

Male Mastopexy Chest Lift Forum - 100 pounds weight loss loose skin chest

Fat - Gynecomastia Forum - Options For Surgery, Weight Loss, & Your Retirement

There are many more examples on our resources, these are just a few.

When I was still in practice, my recommendation was for patients get to a weight they were happy with before considering surgery. This means considering the Body Mass Index  and Body Fat Analysis. The new smart scales we have added can be great motivators tracking body fat and weight progress:

Discussion Wi-Fi Scales and Body Fat Analyzers

Our Standard Stomach and Lower Body Pictures and Standard Breast Pictures or Standard Chest Pictures are among the resources for documenting progress of the contours and hanging tissues. Our standard videos are even better at this documentation, but more difficult to perform and keep the framing the same.

Once tissues have stabilized and skin has stopped shrinking, then I suggested to consider surgery. I consider this body sculpture and prefer to use the coarse tool first (weight loss), and then the refinement (plastic surgery), second.

Body Shaping Garments are a great temporizing contouring alternative while trying to love weight.

We also have posted resources how to evaluate someone's claims that their surgery helps before weight loss such as:

How to Evaluate Tummy Tuck Pictures

How to Pick Tummy Tuck Surgeon

Please share your stories. Join in the discussion. Help build tools and resources to look beyond the advertising hype and evaluate claims of technique or skills.

I really like the new tools for body fat analysis:

Our Body Fat Analyzer Scale Store has expanded.

There is a new

Fitbit FB201W Aria Wi-fi Smart Scale it is quite a bit lower in cost than the

Withings Wifi Body Scale

We also have added a more expensive option:

Tanita BC-1000WH Ant+ Wireless Body Composition Bundle with Remote Display.

I like the connectivity and data collection power of a wi-fi connected measurement tool for someone working on weight loss, bodybuilding, working out or any other system for body change. The concept of a more comprehensive proof for method working is important. Having the scale analyzer connected to your phone, computer, ipad or other device is great.

Have you tried such a method?  How has this worked for you?

So the basic issue is, if someone is asking about weight, then liposuction is rarely the first place to look. You are welcome to join our discussion group to learn more ask other questions.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Liposuction Body Contouring
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline BelaWhite

• View Profile
Re: Liposuction Forum - Do You Have to be a Certain Weight to Have Liposuction?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 01:19:40 AM »
Is really Liposuction a best alternative to lose weight ? I am annoyed with my fatty body, want to get rid of it. I am afraid of undergoing surgery. Some people says that surgical treatment alters body's natural metabolic activities,is it true? Please help !!!

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Liposuction Forum - Do You Have to be a Certain Weight to Have Liposuction?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 02:19:44 AM »
Is really Liposuction a best alternative to lose weight ? I am annoyed with my fatty body, want to get rid of it. I am afraid of undergoing surgery. Some people says that surgical treatment alters body's natural metabolic activities,is it true? Please help !!!

Welcome to our forum. I know the answer above has many links, and is long, but you will find quite a lot of information about the proof I collected over the years, that liposuction is not an alternative to losing weight. That is what I told my patients. I could have done many more operations on those who still asked me to go ahead and they would still pay. But I said no.

Yes, there are a few articles in the literature about using liposuction "jump start" weight loss, but in my opinion, they were not adequately done, misleading, and other factors were at play. As a surgical sculptor I preferred to use a coarse tool first, the weight loss, then the refinement: Plastic Surgery. The articles seem to do some plastic surgery, lose weight, do some more plastic surgery, lose more weight, do some more. That just did not make much sense to me. There are risks, scars, and issues with each operation. I did see quite a few unhappy patients from surgeons done elsewhere for the liposuction before they were ready. They then lost weight and the loose skin, as predicted, became a problem needing to be tightened.

Check out the Global Fat Contour Issue section of our Tummy Tuck Forum Basics.

Now if the skin was going to tighten after large volume liposuction or subsequent liposuction, then what was the advantage of the before weight loss liposuction? The problem with large volume liposuction is that not much is taken off at each session without putting the patient's life at danger. Something that the government had to step in to regulate the doctors who were taking off risky amounts of fat in their offices in some states.

After Weight Loss loose skin is typically a global issue. The degree varies, but one needs to verify just how loose the skin was before the solution and how good after. For this documentation I evolved my Standard Pictures for Tummy Tuck and Evaluating the Stomach Contours and Loose Tissues. One or two still standing upright photos tells very little about the loose skin or how scarred the tissues are stuck from the operation. If the surgery is good, it should also look good living life, not just in a still photograph.

Standard Before and After Videos for Tummy Tuck were even better at showing how the loose skin hung with gravity, bending over, or how much a patient could grab, and how it moved with my ballet of moves a patient could repeat as part of the process of sequential documentation.

The bottom line is proof. Find someone who accurately records the problem to start with, global excess fat, and then the results with liposuction alone and shows what was done, how many operations, what the various weight and body fat percentages were. That is the missing facts that convinced me not to offer that option for my patients. Instead I spent a great deal of time explaining this position and methods other patients taught me that they used to achieve the wonderful weight loss.

How to Pick A Tummy Tuck Surgeon or in this case someone who claims they have a surgical technique to manage liposuction as an alternative to losing weight and have proof of skin tightening and acceptable scarring.

There were many patient stories like this Patient from Virginia for Tummy Tuck who saw me, and after the discussion, decided to wait to loose the weight and stabilize the problem first before having the surgery. But that is why I became excited as we were learning about tools to help these individuals who could not stand their contours, but needed help learning the motivational tools that were available like the scales and awesome

Body Shaping Garments for Women much more powerful than normal girdles for holding the fat and loose skin steady as an interim contour option while losing weight. Women at least had been exposed to normal girdles, but not the surgical super powered ones. Almost all men had no idea until they tried on one of the vests in the office. It was neat, they did not want to take them off and bought them on the spot. That is why I put up a demonstration of their power online. Body Shaping Compression Garments for Men, that has quite a few pages covering that topic.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Liposuction Body Contouring
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates