Author Topic: Asking for help or advice revision.  (Read 3672 times)

Offline blinky2358

• View Profile
Asking for help or advice revision.
« on: September 19, 2012, 03:25:49 AM »
Hi. I know Dr. Bernant is retired. If he or any other surgeon on board could direct me to the correct help i would be greatly appreciated. I had otoplasty about 1 year ago. One ear was done correctly but the other was a complete disaster, the deformed ear has been revised 3 times and it still is nowhere near the result and i am seeking. I have attached a photo in the post. Ever since my world has been upside down, so any kind of help would means the world to me. My main concern is the back view of the ear, it has a crease/bent on the shape of the helix. also the anti-helix is quite enlarge.  I was thinking about having ear piercing right at the crease to hide the deformity for now. Do you think that is such a good idea?  my email is newbielink:mailto:blinky2358@gmail.com [nonactive]  i am willing to travel any distance and pay any price. people say its just an ear, but to me its everything for now, until something worst might happen in my lifetime. 

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Asking for help or advice revision.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:51:44 PM »
Hi. I know Dr. Bernant is retired. If he or any other surgeon on board could direct me to the correct help i would be greatly appreciated. I had otoplasty about 1 year ago. One ear was done correctly but the other was a complete disaster, the deformed ear has been revised 3 times and it still is nowhere near the result and i am seeking. I have attached a photo in the post. Ever since my world has been upside down, so any kind of help would means the world to me. My main concern is the back view of the ear, it has a crease/bent on the shape of the helix. also the anti-helix is quite enlarge.  I was thinking about having ear piercing right at the crease to hide the deformity for now. Do you think that is such a good idea?  my email is blinky2358@gmail.com  i am willing to travel any distance and pay any price. people say its just an ear, but to me its everything for now, until something worst might happen in my lifetime.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our discussion group. Ear deformity can raise significant emotional issues. Should Further Otoplasty Surgery Be Done depends on the deformity, what was done, healing, scarring tendencies, and many other factors.

My Standard Ear Pictures for Otoplasty was designed to demonstrate the different issues seen with ear contour problems. Looking at only one view just does not tell much. Taking an entire set of these images also documents deformity.

The Ear Anatomy Skin Cartilage relationship demands a careful shaping. The thin skin shows very tiny irregularities. Each subsequent surgery further scars these tissues and it can be difficult to impossible to restore a delicate structure if lost from trauma or other factor. One example is the extremely difficult cauliflower ear, thickened skin and cartilage after trauma. Another factor sometimes is the multiple operated ear.

Revision Otoplasty is sometimes an option.  Sometimes the pictures were not enough to determine if surgery was viable and patients had to travel to our office for a hands on exam before I could offer to schedule surgery. With retirement, that option is no longer possible. But posting better pictures here may offer something to discuss and others to comment about specific options they feel are viable.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates