Author Topic: Wound Care Forum - How to Deal with Blister  (Read 3826 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Wound Care Forum - How to Deal with Blister
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:11:56 AM »
@DrBermant doctor could you please kindly reply on my inquiry about best way to deal with blister!

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and no longer offer specific medical advice.

A blister is a bubble on the body where surface layers of skin have separated and fluid has formed. Blisters can come from trauma, infection, and many different other problems. The issue then starts as to why the blister is there, what is the mechanism? Unless the cause is addressed, further injury may occur or worse more blisters may form elsewhere if the process is not local to the original swelling. The next goal when I was treating patients was preventing the injured skin from becoming infected or managing the local infection to prevent the injured skin from further injury after lost surface protection. The next goal was comfort because there can be pain and discomfort associated with the mechanical blister, injured tissues, inflammation, and sometimes the global illness that was a cause of the problem.

So, I preferred to manage only the blisters I could see and evaluate to understand the mechanism, current state of the blister, mobility requirements, and possibility of infection. Treatment options I used: stabilize mechanism, leave alone and observe as protected and no evidence infection, aspirate and send for analysis, remove dead skin, and then wound care depending on what I saw. I had many different types of blister wound care depending on many factors I saw for that specific situation. Then depending on the degree, location, I would teach my patients about Scar Care to minimize the problem of the wound as it remodels and heals. The last item was prevention. Learning how to prevent the next blister was part of what I tried to do with my patient education. This was particularly important in mechanical blisters especially on someone who keeps getting them at the same spot.

Search Amazon for Blister Care

So someone offering advice about blister care without knowing what is going on, is probably someone not worth listening to.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates