Author Topic: Reconstructive Plastic Surgery - Reconstruct Club Foot To Wear High Heels  (Read 5651 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
@DrBermant I see that you have done body reconstruction, would you be able to reconstruct a club foot, so one can wear high heel shoes?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Club foot deformity is a family of bone and soft tissue problems that comes in different degrees. I actually saw several bound feet during my time in China, a deformity to make the foot smaller as the child was growing. Reconstruction options depends on specific problems present. This is an area I saw so many different potential problems and types, but was not one of my passions to specifically tackle with my creative problem solving other than the traumatized tissue, nerve entrapment, Duputren's fascia contractile, or cancer cases asked to solve. My guess is that eventually with tools like tissue printing, new vistas may open. But for now, realistic expectations can be critical for success.

How To Evaluate Before After Pictures
This is a functional part of the body and understanding if the results work should be part of any assessment of claims of success. That means if I were to develop a series of standard pictures for the feet, the would include more than one or two pictures of a foot.

I would want to see both sides standing, top and bottom, standing on toes, rotation of ankle, how well the toes lift up and push down, walking, running, and in this case, wearing high heels. The videos would be a great tool to see just what is going on for how the foot works. So is someone claims to have a way to do this, my thoughts would be to see just they are actually able to achieve with their methods. Perhaps, there are currently good options. But how do they work? Some parts of the body wait for the right person and technology for resolution.

Perhaps you can contribute to the documentation process and take such pictures and put them on the forum to show the degree of problem involved. If interested, I have templates of other body parts and we can set up more specific views after I see the problem. That would not be medical advice nor recommendation, just sharing my experiences with documentation methods.

Any such surgery is a team approach requiring therapists, surgeons, and others. Specialties who may have a passion for this include Plastic Surgeons, Orthopedic Surgeons, Hand Surgeons, Podiatrists. But it is more than the title, it is the individual sculptor and passion. I just did a quick look to see if I could see anything online for such before after photos and was again disappointed. But perhaps they are out there. If not, why not lead and start the process of how to document the Club Foot Deformity right here on our discussion group?

There can be a great deal of emotion involved with any deformity. You are welcome to join us to discuss them. As members find resources or ideas, this forum is a place to discuss them, share them, look at them.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
@DrBermant I see that you have done body reconstruction, would you be able to reconstruct a club foot, so one can wear high heel shoes?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Club foot deformity is a family of bone and soft tissue problems that comes in different degrees. I actually saw several bound feet during my time in China, a deformity to make the foot smaller as the child was growing. Reconstruction options depends on specific problems present. This is an area I saw so many different potential problems and types, but was not one of my passions to specifically tackle with my creative problem solving other than the traumatized tissue, nerve entrapment, Duputren's fascia contractile, or cancer cases asked to solve. My guess is that eventually with tools like tissue printing, new vistas may open. But for now, realistic expectations can be critical for success.

How To Evaluate Before After Pictures
This is a functional part of the body and understanding if the results work should be part of any assessment of claims of success. That means if I were to develop a series of standard pictures for the feet, the would include more than one or two pictures of a foot.

I would want to see both sides standing, top and bottom, standing on toes, rotation of ankle, how well the toes lift up and push down, walking, running, and in this case, wearing high heels. The videos would be a great tool to see just what is going on for how the foot works. So is someone claims to have a way to do this, my thoughts would be to see just they are actually able to achieve with their methods. Perhaps, there are currently good options. But how do they work? Some parts of the body wait for the right person and technology for resolution.

Perhaps you can contribute to the documentation process and take such pictures and put them on the forum to show the degree of problem involved. If interested, I have templates of other body parts and we can set up more specific views after I see the problem. That would not be medical advice nor recommendation, just sharing my experiences with documentation methods.

Any such surgery is a team approach requiring therapists, surgeons, and others. Specialties who may have a passion for this include Plastic Surgeons, Orthopedic Surgeons, Hand Surgeons, Podiatrists. But it is more than the title, it is the individual sculptor and passion. I just did a quick look to see if I could see anything online for such before after photos and was again disappointed. But perhaps they are out there. If not, why not lead and start the process of how to document the Club Foot Deformity right here on our discussion group?

There can be a great deal of emotion involved with any deformity. You are welcome to join us to discuss them. As members find resources or ideas, this forum is a place to discuss them, share them, look at them.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon

@drbermant I truly appreciate the feed back, how do I go about making the video documents, and where would I post them up?

Here are a different anatomy showing how to take Standard Pictures Lower Body Lift. The views need to be changed to deal with feet instead.

The best is to have someone else take the pictures. The entire affected part needs to be shown, not just for the bent tissue but also how it moves with walking. So my first guess without seeing the problem would be knee to ground with some extra ground showing.

First Guess View Selection

Both Feet Front
Both Feet Back
Left View both feet together
Right View both feet tothther
but then the experimentation would need to take place such as

Left view one foot so heel in front of other toes but not in a line, just naturally so inside of one foot and outside of other is seen. Then the same for the other.

When I was doing feet we did pressure analysisi with an ink pad. Walking on a compound that sets is much more expensive but more lasting.

A video of the involved parts feet, ankle and ? knee and or hip depends on the degree of the problem. But seeing one without shoes or socks on floor would be a start. One on the beach in dry sand interesting, but perhaps with the right water in the sand a video would show the impressions. Now that is not for the high heels. For that before and after I would stick with the level surfaces but lighting is a factor and that is a hard one to do for a standing still patient. In the photostudio I would take a backdrop, cloth felt put it on thefloor and have the individual walk on that. The color blue I use is perfect. But now we are getting technical.

But a gait analysis was one of the earliest uses of movies in the beginning so there is nothing new here from the concept other than applying it for a medical problem.

How to Post Pictures on Forum

Now here is someone advertisement video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coLmv6ehGbQ showing a little about the potential for video there was only a tiny clip. There are not the standard views I propose.

here is another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmRwDMDDv98&feature=fvwp&NR=1

This is a mission for someone who wants to investigate it. Find other such videos. How do they show the problem, how are they wrong or could be done better. This is the neat method of using a forum with posts instead of tweets that disappear to document, reflect, get feedback and evolve the methods used to document.

Walking away, walking toward camera
Walking left to right and then turning around and back again several times.

Feet together bend over touch toes.

Other views? Other activities. This is where a club foot sufferer starts having the power of change. What activities do not work? What bothers you that needs functional improvement? Those are the acievments a surgeon should be striving to achieve, and if one of them is high heals, then what is it like with different levels of high heels currently. Try finding a video on that?

Then age comes into factor with an other set of videos for newborns, todlers learning to walk and other stages of walking life. Each would need its own ballet of documentation and motion.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates