Author Topic: Revision Otoplasty - Over Corrected Ear and Telephone Deformity Complications  (Read 4856 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Hi Dr. Bermant,

I had my otoplasty done about 6 months ago and I am far from pleased. Both ears were overcorrected. The left one is a telephone ear and on the inside there is this squigly line of very tough tissue. He told me it should go away by itself but it still has not. The right one, however, is even worse; the actual shape of the cartilage is very prominent and noticable. It actually sticks out more than the top of my ear. The top of my ear is folded and touches my head and looks very unnatural. I have a second surgery scheduled in a month and for the left one he said he can remove some of the ear lobe to reduce the telephone ear appearance. I also have permanent sutures he said he can remove from the top of both ears, but he said he doesn't know how much they will come out because of scar tissue. I am worried they will remain like this, is there anything I should tell him to guide this so-called surgeon in the right direction?

Thank you.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Posting Standard Otoplasty Pictures is a great way to define problems, especially when also posting the before surgery images. Better surgeons carefully document their problems to sculpt before surgery. That is how I evolved my methods and demonstrated the skills I had in sculpting tissues. Limited views with fewer details shown may hide critical issues that a more detailed analysis demonstrate. This forum is designed for those with such problems to show their concerns and from where they started.

The Over Folded Antihelix Ear Complication can look strange, and comes in different degrees. This deformity is a Complications of Otoplasty best prevented than having to fix. The Release of the Over bent Ear can be from something quite simple to complex, demanding, and compromise surgery.

Telephone Ear Deformity Complication is another imbalance complication one of the components can be a segment of over folded ear.

In my Otoplasty Dynamic Technique, I preferred to use an assortment of surgical elements to progressively deal with making an ear that was pleasing in shape, not just on the operating table, but as close to what I could achieve with material that is inherently fickle in how it heals and evolves.

Timing for surgery depends on the original problem, what was done, healing and many other factors, but I rarely went back so soon after ear surgery as the tissues rarely have declared what will be happening. Yet such intervention is sometimes the right thing to do.

I am worried they will remain like this, is there anything I should tell him to guide this so-called surgeon in the right direction?

How to Pick Your Otoplasty Surgeon is a resource available for all to use and based on skills and what they can demonstrate. I saw many patients from around the world who preferred my methods who started elsewhere looking for help. Revision Otoplasty can be even more demanding, yet the surgeon who was there first has the advantage of first hand knowledge of the problem and what was done.

You are welcome to use our resources to learn, post your images, get others' opinions, and share your experiences to both learn yourself what has happened and share with others your experiences. Collecting and connecting such examples, using our social media tools can help attract experts offering solutions and comments.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates