Author Topic: Silicone Lip Injections  (Read 4083 times)

Offline australian01

• View Profile
Silicone Lip Injections
« on: December 13, 2012, 03:41:01 AM »
Hi! Can you tell me how long it takes to see the final results for silicone injections to the lips?
Thanks in advance!

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Silicone Lip Injections
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 12:29:09 AM »
Hi! Can you tell me how long it takes to see the final results for silicone injections to the lips?
Thanks in advance!

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our group. Here is hoping this is a question before a misadventure vs. after.

What a simply horrible idea. Silicone injections to the lips should never ever be done in my opinion. Results can be disastrous. It is a matter of understanding the material technology behind our tools to best understand why. Silicone as a liquid tends to break up and disperse over time unless it is encapsulated as with breast implants. Various designs in cohesive gels were attempted to keep the silicone together, but success varies. The problem is with migrating silicone, where it goes and if the body starts walling the foreign material off as in a granuloma or if infection occurs. Trying to remove such disasters becomes an exercise in frustration that try to find before and after videos showing the nightmares generated by such techniques. We are talking about look for documentation of how the lips move during normal speech, short term, then, over time, and then long term. It is the hideous distorted look of displaced silicone that is the basic flaw that convinced me to never to have offered such an option for my patients. Then for that patient who had reactions or firm hardened scar tissue around the silicone, how bad that looked on animation. These and other complications are why the FDA does not permit that material for that use.

Beyond that there is the look of initial swelling from the irritation process of putting the material there, the body's reaction to the foreign material short term then the long term results. Seeing such issues, not just a single one view photo are more revealing about the answer when one would see the results. I think such issues important and added such views for many of the operations I performed. The path taken I call it. Learn How to Evaluate and Use Before and After Pictures is a starting point for such issues. However, what should comprise the standard video and photos for the lips? That is a project I had been working on for quite some time extending to the time I was a medical student and working on this project: Cleft Lip Fetal Surgery. Here is another discussion about the views on this post: Facial Aging Forum - Facial Exercises Instead of Surgery To Keep Looking Young. But that is not enough. Perhaps I will get moving on that project. The main issue is that the mouth movement attracts attention but also the sound of our words spoken. The documentation of problem, function, and results involve much more than just a single view.

If such a procedure is good or safe, it is up to the offering surgeon to document such issues. I can only relate what I saw and why I rejected it as an option for my sculpture tools.

You are welcome to post images before and after of your lips if asking about the question after having a procedure. But if so, why does someone do this without such investigations. Prevention is so much better than fixing a disaster.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates