Author Topic: Nostril Flare Reduction  (Read 5035 times)

Offline gmarcells

• View Profile
Nostril Flare Reduction
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:23:29 AM »
I like the size and shape of my nose, but I don't like how my nostrils flare up even when they are relaxed. Is it possible to reduce only nostril flare, and what are special risks associated with this surgery?
Please give me some information. Thank you!

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Nostril Flare Reduction
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
I like the size and shape of my nose, but I don't like how my nostrils flare up even when they are relaxed. Is it possible to reduce only nostril flare, and what are special risks associated with this surgery?
Please give me some information. Thank you!

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our discussion group.

Nostril Flare is a normal dynamic component of any nose and can be an issue with those bothered by a wide nose. It is also an element in both Beautiful Black Nose and Asian Nose. In addition, Nose Reduction Surgery can generate a flare of redundant tissue that must be managed as part of the basic plan of that rhinoplasty. The Nasal Anatomy of the Wide Nose can have many contributing components, cartilage, skin, and muscle making this an concern best documented during a time that the nose can be examined, felt, and seen moving. 

The elements that go into the individual Wide Nose also vary in just what can and cannot be done when the muscles of facial expression fight any attempt at changing this basic underlying anatomy. That is why I preferred to have a discussion of Risks and Complications of Rhinoplasty with my patients for such issues in person, in the office, in front of the computer to demonstrate such issues.

There are many possible components that can go into Alar Wedge Removal To Narrow Nose or other maneuvers to deal with nasal flare. Then there are what types of sutures used, skill of the surgeon, healing techniques, after surgery care, and many other factors.

In other cases for a wide nose, trying to make a nose more narrow must battle remaining forces that make the nose wide. Yet, few doctors have bothered showing how the nose moves with facial expression. My Standard Rhinoplasty Pictured were a start, but I considered adding additional views showing smile, and other facial actions to demonstrate such issues as well as movies. One problem is getting longer time follow up pictures for patients traveling distances for any surgery. It would be nice to see how the forces equilibrated over the next many months and years. Not something practical easily done or achieved as most prefer to move on with their lives and travel and providing consistent follow up photos can be a problem.

That was one of the reasons for building this forum. So others can post long term results for the public to view and assess. Such images should start with the standard set I mentioned above. But then, those unhappy with results, posting images showing such issues could then be added to the ballet of views best documenting the problem and solutions. Missing would be the surgeon's notes of what was done, an essential component I was using for my analysis. You are welcome to post your images on our site.

However, with reasonable goals in mind and understanding the nature of the underlying forces at play, the Flare of Wide Nose Reduction can be a valuable component of nasal sculpture in the right hands.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty, and Sculpture
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates