Author Topic: Gynecomastia Forum - California Gyno Will Insurance Pay? Weight Loss Failed  (Read 4159 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Hi

Wondering if you ever have any Gyno surgerys get cover by medical insurance. I have blue shield of California PPO.

I'm a 25 yo male generally healthy all the way around and I'm currently at 245lbs and 68" tall. I tried the weight loss and worked but the Gyno was still there.

Thanks for your time

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I am sorry, but insurance payment decisions keep changing. I do not remember of any insurance surgery approved for someone with global fat problems. But as a surgical sculptor, I preferred to use the coarse tool of weight loss first and reserve surgery for refinement.

Check our BMI Calculator and put your numbers in it. BMI alone does not tell the entire picture for some with massive muscles. That is why understanding Body Fat is so critical and why we taught about Body Fat Analyzers as a great tool to understand about body composition. The newer models with wireless connection to the iPhone and other smartphones such as

Fitbit FB201W Aria Wi-fi Smart Scale

Withings Wifi Body Scale

and the new Withings Wireless WS-30 with its bluetooth -wifi and smart update advances.

We also have added a more expensive option:

Tanita BC-1000WH Ant+ Wireless Body Composition Bundle with Remote Display.

I like the connectivity and data collection power of a wi-fi  or bluetooth connected measurement tool for someone working on weight loss, bodybuilding, working out or any other system for body change. The concept of a more comprehensive proof for method working is important. Having the scale analyzer connected to your phone, computer, ipad or other device is great.

Male Body Fat Distribution tends to put fat first on the breast and belly. We take it off those regions last. Surgery is not a replacement for weight loss. Take off enough to let the muscles through, and the body will look strange with the imbalance. Take the fat down to the global element and then lose weight? If the weight comes off in the normal pattern, and the breast fat does not come off as well, then it will look like the gynecomastia has returned.

Plastic Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight.  With surgery, an overweight person will still look like a overweight person, just one with smaller breasts and contour problems that continues around the chest, under the arms, and around the back.  Plastic Surgery is not a good tool for a global fat problem.

I used to advise my patients to get to a weight / body fat percentage they are comfortable with before considering surgery. 

Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery can help with the fat, but not the gland.  However, you cannot pick where your fat comes from. Plastic Surgery is also not a good jump start tool for weight loss.  I have seen disasters from patients from other doctors with deformities from significant weight loss after their surgery.  Men tend to put fat on first in the belly and chest bands.  We tend to take of those areas last.  Early surgery and depending on weight loss to predictably change the body is a nasty gamble.  No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are a better temporizing choice.

Weight Loss vs Gynecomastia Surgery Has Come Up Many Times in The Past:

Weight Loss Forum - Gynecomastia Surgery not alternative to Losing Weight

Male Mastopexy Chest Lift Forum - 100 pounds weight loss loose skin chest

Fat - Gynecomastia Forum - Options For Surgery, Weight Loss, & Your Retirement

There are many other examples, use our search tools to find more.

You are welcome to join our discussion group and post images.

Our Standard Stomach and Lower Body Pictures and Standard Chest Pictures are resources for the views that are good to document progress made with the weight loss on contour components and how skin is contracting.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Here is the unit we used in the office to show our patients how easy it was to get the body fat percentage:

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates