Author Topic: Can you recommend a doctor?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline raidsystemtech

• View Profile
Can you recommend a doctor?
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:21:38 AM »
Hello Dr. Bermant .

I am very impressed with your work. Did you happen to mentor a successor in your gynecomastia corrective techniques or can you recommend a doctor who you feel confident in their abilities?

I am in Florida but I would be willing to travel anywhere in the US to get it done right.

Thank you for your help.

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Can you recommend a doctor?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:58:58 AM »
Hello Dr. Bermant .

I am very impressed with your work. Did you happen to mentor a successor in your gynecomastia corrective techniques or can you recommend a doctor who you feel confident in their abilities?

I am in Florida but I would be willing to travel anywhere in the US to get it done right.

Thank you for your help.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum and thank you for your kind words. I saw many Gynecomastia Patients from Florida and around the world who preferred my methods. Travel For Male Breast Surgery is reasonable, if picking the right surgeon with the right methods.

Your question is a common one and has come up many times before: Gynecomastia Forum - Be Careful In Choosing Your Male Breast Reduction Surgeon.

I have put a great deal of detail about my Dynamic Gynecomastia Surgery Technique on the web for all to learn. It is based on a critical evaluation of how tissues move and the path taken from the before to the after.

Many years ago I was frustrated with what I saw in the literature of gynecomastia that discussed liposuction followed by removal of gland. I was seeing unhappy patients done elsewhere with contours that just did not move well. The male chest contour is not just what is seen in still photo with arms at the side. Men like to play sports with their shirts off. The chest needs to look good flexing muscles and arms up overhead. That led me to first learn how to document the male chest:

Standard Pictures Male Chest for Gynecomastia which then evolved into standard sets for other issues like loose skin and scar deformity. Most critical of all were my Standard Male Chest Videos.

These tools permitted me to evolve my Dynamic Technique targeting gland first and then using liposuction through the same tiny incision to contour the remaining fat. I address my concerns about aggressive liposuction cannula here on this post: Gynecomastia Forum - Does Sharp Cutting Liposuction Remove Gland? I analyze the failings of Avoiding Areola Scars with Armpit Incisions? on that post.

The basis for the changes in what I was doing were on what I saw with the best critical evaluation system I could design. I found I could also document the path taken between the before and after showing Bruising and Swelling Picture Gallery from Gynecomastia Surgery. I think all doctors owe their prospective patients and extended view of what the path is typically like for their patients and how tissues move after surgery on parts of the body affected by muscle action. If something is better, then there should be a way to document that it is better.

In addition to the images, I also used my Male Nipple Exam, evaluation of the chest, and forms I developed to record the problem, what was done, Comfort After Gynecomastia Surgery, record the Gynecomastia Healing, and the result. Then there are many different types of gynecomastia deformity. How well does that surgeon manage that specific variation? Again one needs to look for specific examples and one or two views just do not tell enough about the problem nor the solution offered.

I developed tools like How to Evaluate Gynecomastia Pictures for Problems and Results and resources like How to Pick a Gynecomastia Surgeon. Separating verbal hype and salesmanship from reality can be difficult. The tools that I measured my own progress and evolution, were my standard pictures & videos, how does the result look when flexing the muscles, arms up overhead are all more critically looking at the results achieved. When loose skin is involved, the bending over views show just how tight is the skin against the chest. There were other views added to better show scar issues seen when flexing muscles. If a surgeon only shows fewer views or no before after movies, then how does the result look when playing sports, swimming and living life? I even had some patients unhappy after surgery done elsewhere come to me for help telling me that their surgeon(s) would not take the pictures arms up overhead or flexing muscles. I do not understand the justification in not taking those photos. I wanted my work to look good not just in limited views. Here is one example of how bad a result can look in motion, hidden with fewer photographic still views: Extended Crater Deformity After Failed Revision Surgery.

With a more critical evaluation system, especially the before and after videos, I was able to evolve and refine my own methods over the years. That is why a more critical Standard System of Documentation was incorporated into the tools I build to help in the selection of surgeon. Seeing how their work moves and what path taken to get there: if not shown, is there a better technique?

You are welcome to post your own images, explain your own situation. This forum was designed for those who have a problem to post it here for discussion. Our forum is also here for those who have solutions that are better to demonstrate their methods and how that technique can solve the problems.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates