Author Topic: Blepharophimosis Syndrome Eyelid Ptosis Forum - Finding Surgeon  (Read 4444 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Blepharophimosis Syndrome Eyelid Ptosis Forum - Finding Surgeon
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:22:48 PM »
Hi Dr. Bermant! My name is -  I read about you and I know that you are a retired Doctor but I was woundering if you can advise me or refer me to surgeon. My son was diagnosed with blepharophemosis since he was a baby. Now he will be 3 in march. Some of the Doctors told me that he may need surgery but we need to wait until he is 4 or 5 years old. I will aprecciate if you can help me find a great surgeon who does this type of surgeries on kids. I will really aprreciate your advise Doctor. Thank you very much .

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Sorry, I no longer offer private messages nor emails, but I do try to share my knowledge and experience here on the forums.

Blepharophimosis Syndrome includes Eyelid Ptosis drooping of the upper lid and a fold of skin that can obstruct vision. The problem comes in different degrees the severity can even vary from one side to the other. When the eyelids cover over the pupil blocking vision, early surgery can be critical in the brain's development to minimize the obstruction. When cosmetic issues become the major concern, timing of surgery sometimes is best delayed until a child can cooperate with the recovery and experience. Such issues are typically determined and discussed during an examination where Eyelid Function and vision function are assessed. Comfort and skill of the surgeon also can come into play with such surgery.

We have tools here on How To Pick A Plastic Surgeon as well as How to Evaluate Before and After Pictures. I have yet to add the specific eyelid documentation to those resources. Standard Eyelid Pictures in this case are not enough. There are the scar issues of the fold reconstruction details that would be nice to see close up photos. Actually, videos of eyelid function are better suited for this critical documentation.

Knowing more about vision function and skills and the in between the before and after photos would be of great value in better understanding a surgeon's skills and if the method of treatment was a good idea or fraught with difficulty getting there. Finding surgeons who put that type of detail on the web can be quite difficult. Yet that is how my practice evolved as I further specialized in different fields of surgery. Such documentation can be done and the public can be a help in moving medicine in that direction.

There is much emotion for both parents and children living with this condition. That is why I built this forum.

You are welcome to post your images or videos of eyelid function here in this forum so that others can understand your concerns. I hope to improve my standard views of eyelid pages I made so many years ago. Trying to establish documentation specific for Eyelid Ptosis is a way to monitor improvement after surgery. Posting problems here on this forum with more complete documentation can attract those with expertise to offer their opinions and views.  Links to resources they have built to explain their methods can be a powerful tool to prove a point.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Gjantschek

• View Profile
Re: Blepharophimosis Syndrome Eyelid Ptosis Forum - Finding Surgeon
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:55:34 PM »
Thank you Doctor for all of this information. Very helpful.

anything