Author Topic: 2 surgerys later, still not satisfied.  (Read 4600 times)

Offline jedge1.8t

• View Profile
2 surgerys later, still not satisfied.
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »
Saved up alot of money and went a local plastic surgeon, Dr. kaufman in Folsom, CA. i paid 2800 for a gynecomastia surgery on both sides. the lumps were removed and without no lipo because im very lean.

The first surgery started off succesful but after 1 month the lumps began to regrow. by the time my 6 month follow up came in they were nearly close to as they were before.

I had a second surgery approximently a 10 months after my first surgery. He decided to give me a free revision and i accepted.

this time it wasn't so succesful, they only did local anesthetic, and i got a nice shock when they used the cotorizing pen. during the procedure he told me "there is nothing under my skin now"

when the compression bandages were removed both sides still had a lump, my left side looked flat, right side puffy, bigger lump and areola, and noticeable scarring.

My case is extremely mild and not very noticeable but i really feel i felt like i paid alot of money only to have a job that didn't change anything. Any advice on what I should do?

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: 2 surgerys later, still not satisfied.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 06:44:51 PM »
Saved up alot of money and went a local plastic surgeon, Dr. kaufman in Folsom, CA. i paid 2800 for a gynecomastia surgery on both sides. the lumps were removed and without no lipo because im very lean.

The first surgery started off succesful but after 1 month the lumps began to regrow. by the time my 6 month follow up came in they were nearly close to as they were before.

I had a second surgery approximently a 10 months after my first surgery. He decided to give me a free revision and i accepted.

this time it wasn't so succesful, they only did local anesthetic, and i got a nice shock when they used the cotorizing pen. during the procedure he told me "there is nothing under my skin now"

when the compression bandages were removed both sides still had a lump, my left side looked flat, right side puffy, bigger lump and areola, and noticeable scarring.

My case is extremely mild and not very noticeable but i really feel i felt like i paid alot of money only to have a job that didn't change anything. Any advice on what I should do?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Sorry, Gynecomastia Surgery Does Not Stop Breast Growth. That post sums it up and why years ago I evolved my Red Flag System. Regrowth is another Red Flag and repeat surgery was never my next step. Until the factors that were causing male breast growth were stabilized, regrowth continues to be a risk. I saw many such unfortunate patients of other surgeons with problems after not stabilizing gynecomastia.

When I was evaluating those patients, I would ask to see the original problem documentation, what was done (for each of the surgeries), what happened after surgery, after care, , After Gynecomastia Surgery Compression, Scar Care and many other details. My patients used both First Stage Compression right after surgery, and then Second Stage Compression Gynecomastia Garments for scar care.

My Standard Revision Gynecomastia Pictures document current scar and contour issues but additional Gynecomastia Video Documentation is even more critical in showing the current problem. For those patients options depended on what I found, but an Endocrinology evaluation by an experienced Endocrinologist was mandatory. That was where we found so many bizarre untreated problems that once managed, changed the picture.

Once analyzed and if necessary stabilized, the question became was there too much left behind by the surgeon, regrowth, too little like the Crater Deformities or some other problem. Sometimes the problem was in patient expectation. How did the result compare to what the doctor demonstrated about their male chests sculpture? Did the patient look for before after photos? Those were all major factors outlined in our resources on How to Pick a Gynecomastia Surgeon. Options then depended the problem(s) found,  available tissue resources,  and many other factors.

You are welcome to post a complete revision gynecomastia photo series so others can better understand your concerns. Posting the before and then the in between set of photos can also help others understand the original problem, what was done, and how thoroughly the other surgeon documented your case. Revision surgery is often much more demanding. Just because someone offered for free, does not necessarily make it a reasonable option, especially if there is now a defect present.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates