Author Topic: Breast Augmentation and having 1 Diabetes?  (Read 6054 times)

Offline renagraham

• View Profile
Breast Augmentation and having 1 Diabetes?
« on: November 21, 2011, 04:46:35 AM »
I have type 1 diabetes would that effect me at getting breast augmentation and liposuction? I haven't visited cosmetic clinic yet. Any inputs will be appreciated.

Offline Laleel

• View Profile
Re: Breast Augmentation and having 1 Diabetes?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »
I am unaware of any specific risks. The risk that does come to mind is infection. Diabetics are more prone to infections than other people. With this said however, I know of no study that clinically showed this in the case of breast implants.

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Breast Augmentation Liposuction and having 1 Diabetes?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »
I have type 1 diabetes would that effect me at getting breast augmentation and liposuction? I haven't visited cosmetic clinic yet. Any inputs will be appreciated.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum. Diabetes poses risks to life in general. Any implant decreases the number of bacteria to make an infection. Diabetic patients have an increased risk to infection from microcirculation changes. They therefore have an increased chance of implant infection. This may be one factor in the increased capsule formation, scar around the breast implants reported in the literature:

Capsule around silicone implants in diabetic rats: histological and biochemical study.

Capsular contracture in a diabetic patient.

Capsule contraction around a breast implant does not look good, especially during movement / animation. That is why I evolved my Standard Breast Reduction Pictures to show such issues. These views developed from my attempt to understand and evaluate my breast implant patients and why I gave up on breast implants so many years ago.

Diabetics also have higher risk for wound healing but that is also related to the microcirculation changes.

Any good plastic surgeon will should take extra time for a discussion with a diabetic patient for any type of implant, breast augmentation included. These risks were one reason my mentor Dr. William Shaw felt it was important to work on using a patient's own tissues for breast reconstruction. However, resources today from the patient's own body are limited. What will the future unfold, who knows?

Liposuction
Liposuction has the same blood vessel risk as the implants. However, not permanent foreign body is left behind. Liposuction is a component of many different types of Plastic Surgery. When I was practicing, each diabetic patient was given an extended discussion about the risks of elective Plastic Surgery during their Liposuction Consultation. Here are some Lipsocution Risks Benefits and alternate methods of care issues I discussed with them.

Welcome to our forum.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Liposuction Body Contouring
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates