Author Topic: After Weight Loss Forum - Timing Post Gastric Bypass Large Skin Flaps  (Read 5683 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Hi Dr.Bermant,
Can you advise a 25 yr. old male 18 mo. Post gastric bypass surgery who to consult regarding body contouring? Can you recommend a plastic surgeon who specializes in post weight loss surgery in northern, nj or nyc? How does one know when exercise will not be enough if you have large skin flaps after weight loss.?

Thank you,

-, the concerned Mom.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Weight Loss Series of Compromises

The main issues is that Weight loss and surgical sculpture is a series of compromises. What suites any one individual will vary.  Ideal sequence that I used to recommend for my patients:

• Get to a weight you are comfortable living with.
  • Let the skin adjust as much as it will. It can take from 6 to 18 months for skin equilibration after a gastric bypass and major weight loss.
  • After Massive Weight Loss, Consider Tightening Lower Tissues First. There is little sense to lift the chest and then have a tummy tuck, lower the chest result, requiring a revision chest lift.
  • Then Address the Chest.
  • Use No Surgery Body Shaping Garments as emotional support not to rush the process.

Emotional Tension However Takes Its Toll
Check out postings on this topic:
Male Mastopexy Chest Lift Forum - 100 pounds weight loss loose skin chest

Gynecomastia & Weight Forum - Frustrated With Weight Loss Breasts Not Going Away

Weight Loss Forum - Lost 40kg, want to lose 20-30 more - Lots of Loose Skin

To manage this tension, we used the No Surgery Body Shaping Garments. For the men, Male Second Stage Compression Vest was a life changer. We kept a supply in the office. Many men would try them on to see what it looked like and how tissues moved. Most did not want to take it off such was the emotional improvement for contour change while they waited for tissues to stabilize.

Motivational Tools

Getting to that body weight of comfort used to be a guessing game. New motivational tools and forums like this one can make goal seeking easier.

Standard Weight Loss Pictures, Losing Weight Photos, and Training Photographs Programs Critical Concepts and Evolving Ideas

Trying to combine how someone feels with documentation of weight, body fat percentage, BMI, and skin sagging / contours with diary can make wonders for decisions about just what can be comfortable. I really like the motivation potential to bio monitoring of the WiFi scales, other bio monitors for exercising combined with my standard photographs to see just what is left or if the shrinking has stabilized.

Fitbit FB201W Aria Wi-fi Smart Scale it is quite a bit lower in cost than the

Withings Wifi Body Scale

Tanita BC-1000WH Ant+ Wireless Body Composition Bundle with Remote Display.

I like the connectivity and data collection power of a wi-fi connected measurement tool for someone working on weight loss, bodybuilding, working out or any other system for body change. The concept of a more comprehensive proof for method working is important. Having the scale analyzer connected to your phone, computer, ipad or other device is great.

We have added a new scale to our Our Body Fat Analyzer Scale Store.

Withings WS-50 Smart Body Analyzer, Black

This new scale includes body fat analysis, heart rate (only while standing on scale), room temperature, and CO measurement.

Standard Photographs

The loose skin problem can be as bad or worse than remaining gland for the male chest. Jumping into surgery can lead to disaster and even greater expenses trying to fix problems. There is no one "ideal" weight or target BMI. It is a matter of what feels best and then waiting for tissues to stabilize. After gastric bypass surgery it can take 6 to 18 months for the skin to stabilize.

Using my Standard Pictures for Male Chest and Loose Skin and Standard Body Lift Pictures along with Body Fat Percentage Monitoring are tricks I have talked to patients about in the past. This forum give individuals a great place to post their progress standard pictures to document their progress. There are no special methods to document when loose skin has stopped shrinking. I have some ideas, but that is for another post someday. Here is a new resource on Sagging Skin After Weight Loss Picture Gallery. Check the slide shows for various weight loss situations, then click on the images for more detailed analysis of each problem surgical solution with videos showing how tissues moved.

Choosing Surgeon

I consider this body sculpture and prefer to use the coarse tool first (weight loss), and then the refinement (plastic surgery), second. The question becomes will the surgeon wait for the better result or try to "jump start" with early surgery. Early surgery followed by further weight loss is a gamble. Just how much with the skin then shrink? If so why not wait first and get that shrinkage? If someone has a better method, such contouring should stand up to the scrutiny of comprehensive documentation such as my standard pictures or even more critical Tummy Tuck Videos

We have resources for Finding Your Tummy Tuck Surgeon or How to Find Gynecomastia Surgeon  components of the massive after surgery weight loss body sculpture. Seeing just what any one doctor offers however needs images of the specific problem like  body lift, chest lift and so forth.

You are welcome to join us, document your progress, and use the forum tools. This was set up as a mutual support forum and a place to find others with similar concerns and experiences.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia of Male Chest Ptosis - Sagging and Male Mastopexy Chest Lift Sculpture and Body Lift Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: After Weight Loss Forum - Timing Post Gastric Bypass Large Skin Flaps
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:55:08 PM »
Thank you for your prompt response. My son is looking for a garment that targets the back, abdomen and arms specifically. Which particular garment would you recommend for now?
OMG- I wish that you hadn't retired! But best of luck to you too.
Thanks again,

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

For our patients, the Male Compression Vest was by far the most popular garment. It looks like work out clothing so less embarrassment.

Not all manufacturers make garments the same way and this tested best from all I reviewed. The office is closed so sampling the garments no longer is an option. However, there are many other styles and degrees of coverage available that you can check out Male Compression Garments. The zippers and hooks make it easier to get into and out of the garment but offer seams to deal with. Body Shaping Garments for Men has more detail.

PS how does one post on the open forum?

The Help link above and copied here too has basic information about use of the forum. Try starting with the first topic and then read as much as needed to get started with other sections useful depending how much power a poster wants to use.

The power comes from the individual person with the problem and the family together using the tools.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Gynecomastia of Male Chest Ptosis - Sagging and Male Mastopexy Chest Lift Sculpture
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates