Author Topic: Breast Reduction Recovery Process  (Read 7580 times)

Offline janiz_m

• View Profile
Breast Reduction Recovery Process
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »
I had breast reduction surgery last month, December 14th. No painfull at all. However, now my left breast is very swollen, hard, painful and brused. Eventhoug the surgeon says that is normal,  i would like to know, if there is anybody out there who had   experienced similar symptoms. Please Advice.

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Breast Reduction Recovery Process
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:45:27 PM »
I had breast reduction surgery last month, December 14th. No painfull at all. However, now my left breast is very swollen, hard, painful and brused. Eventhoug the surgeon says that is normal,  i would like to know, if there is anybody out there who had   experienced similar symptoms. Please Advice.

Bruising and Swelling After Breast Reduction depends on the problem treated, what was done, skill of your surgeon, and many other factors.

Here is another example of Early Healing, Bruising, Swelling, and Evolution Tissues after Breast Reduction Surgery.

Injured tissues, like any cut start out firmer and soften over time. One sided discomfort and swelling is more of a concern.  There are other reasons for new swelling after surgery. They include hematoma (collection of blood), poor blood supply, infection, and many other factors best discussed with your doctor or someone who can examine the problem and offer appropriate advice.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Breast Reduction and Lift in Women
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline lisasanford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »
 Hi,
 I was wondering if your Doc. ever gave you an explanation for this happening.
Thank you if you respond.
Lisa

Offline juanboldrin123

• Restricted Modification
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 04:32:04 AM »
My mom had this surgery last year with Dr. Marcus Niessen in Toronto. she also worried a lot during the recovery period and she had pain and swelling around her breasts. But, it healed over time. I would say just to follow the instructions of your Plastic Surgeon and consult him whenever necessary.

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 06:04:48 AM »

My mom had this surgery last year with - in Toronto. she also worried a lot during the recovery period and she had pain and swelling around her breasts. But, it healed over time. I would say just to follow the instructions of your Plastic Surgeon and consult him whenever necessary.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum. Did your mother's surgeon show progressive early after surgery pictures to typify what to expect? How much pain? How much pain medication? How bruised was she?

I found it was so much better to show my patients typical path between the before and after pictures: their Breast Reduction Recovery After Surgery. That way my patients knew what to expect. Although each patient was given a prescription for strong pain medication, almost all told be that just plain Tylenol was enough for their comfort. Each was instructed to let me know if there was anything different to my typical patient so I could intervene early to minimize  their Breast Reduction Risks of Complications. Excess bruising, injury to tissue, or blood that has to be absorbed by the body all can influence scars and healing. In evolving my surgery I was watching how tissues moved. Such more critical documentation with my Standard Pictures for Breast Reduction and Standard Female Breast Reduction Movies and looking how tissues moved helped me realize how I could improve my sculpture by managing this path between surgery and healing with less bruising. Even more sensitive was feeling the tissues, but that I could not incorporate into a system of reliable documentation.

So, no it is not necessarily "normal" to have such discomfort nor swelling. It depends on the problem treated, skill of the surgeon, surgical technique, after surgery care, After Surgery Bra Support, careful patient education, and so much more!

Verbal hand waving with words is one thing. Demonstration with typical documentation and videos is so much more comprehensive an educational approach for a patient looking for less stress during surgery and recovery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Breast Reduction in Women
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates