Author Topic: Cosmetic Surgery Counselling  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Deborah

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
Cosmetic Surgery Counselling
« on: March 30, 2013, 08:39:08 AM »
Hi

First of all, I would like to say Congratulations to Dr B for a great site. It is always a pleasure to be able to talk freely on a subject that ignites passion in so many without constraints of the 140 characters. I like it.

I am a cosmetic surgery counsellor and it is my belief that all patients (and surgeons) would benefit it patients were offered a minimum of at least one pre- and one post-operative cosmetic surgery counselling session. Given the pressure of air-brushed advertising and other non-visible cultural influences, many patients suffer from unrealistic expectations from cosmetic surgery.

In January 2000, I set up a non-profit, independent, voluntary website offering professional emotional support to anyone who requested this. The site is still going today. It is a place for patients to discuss emotional aspects of cosmetic surgery which surgeons can not and should not have to discuss with patients.

I believe that cosmetic surgery counselling should be integrated into all cosmetic surgery packages. Surgeons should buy session time from cosmetic surgery counsellors (very specialized area) and hand those sessions to their patients to book in with. Patients benefit and so do surgeons. Surgeons benefit by having a calmer, more realistically grounded patient. My new site has an online booking system for patients: www.cosmeticsurgerycounselling.com [nofollow]

There are far too many 'advisors' out there who are selling behind the scenes and are leading patients astray in too many ways. Patients need to find balance and harmony in any discussion they have about cosmetic surgery as it can be overly emotive as a subject. Patients can suffer from being harshly judged if they do not know who to trust. Cosmetic surgery should be a happy experience but with so much treachery in certain aspects of the industry, it can turn into a nightmare experience for a patient.

I personally have suffered from body dysmorphic disorder and know that it is a very much misunderstood disorder. It is as a result of my struggle with this disorder and my training in psychotherapy that I set up a new site for patients to book in for counselling before and after their surgery: www.cosmeticsurgerycounselling.com [nofollow]

Again, well done Dr B on such a great site.

Best wishes

Deborah@cosmeticsurgerycounselling.com [nofollow] 

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Cosmetic Surgery Counselling
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
Hi

First of all, I would like to say Congratulations to Dr B for a great site. It is always a pleasure to be able to talk freely on a subject that ignites passion in so many without constraints of the 140 characters. I like it.

I am a cosmetic surgery counsellor and it is my belief that all patients (and surgeons) would benefit it patients were offered a minimum of at least one pre- and one post-operative cosmetic surgery counselling session. Given the pressure of air-brushed advertising and other non-visible cultural influences, many patients suffer from unrealistic expectations from cosmetic surgery.

In January 2000, I set up a non-profit, independent, voluntary website offering professional emotional support to anyone who requested this. The site is still going today. It is a place for patients to discuss emotional aspects of cosmetic surgery which surgeons can not and should not have to discuss with patients.

I believe that cosmetic surgery counselling should be integrated into all cosmetic surgery packages. Surgeons should buy session time from cosmetic surgery counsellors (very specialized area) and hand those sessions to their patients to book in with. Patients benefit and so do surgeons. Surgeons benefit by having a calmer, more realistically grounded patient. My new site has an online booking system for patients

There are far too many 'advisors' out there who are selling behind the scenes and are leading patients astray in too many ways. Patients need to find balance and harmony in any discussion they have about cosmetic surgery as it can be overly emotive as a subject. Patients can suffer from being harshly judged if they do not know who to trust. Cosmetic surgery should be a happy experience but with so much treachery in certain aspects of the industry, it can turn into a nightmare experience for a patient.

I personally have suffered from body dysmorphic disorder and know that it is a very much misunderstood disorder. It is as a result of my struggle with this disorder and my training in psychotherapy that I set up a new site for patients to book in for counselling before and after their surgery: www.cosmeticsurgerycounselling.com

Again, well done Dr B on such a great site.

Best wishes

Deborah@cosmeticsurgerycounselling.com 

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Thank you for your kind words about my forum and integrated Plastic Surgery Encyclopedia. You will find the Floating Navigation Bar Resources Links change depending on the board you are posting to.

Welcome to our forum. Links become active with participation to deal with the SPAM fake posters SEO optimizers. Feel free to answer questions here or share links to resources and content. Then use our social spreading tools to let others know about your posts.

There are many ways to help educate the public about where to find the best surgery and surgical sculptor. I never used a cosmetic counselor and preferred to take my story and skills for all to see themselves online. Evolving instead tools and resources you can find and share from this site like How To Pick Your Plastic Surgeon or How to Evaluate and Use Before and After Pictures. Then there are of the sub pages refining skill sets for more specific problems. Combining the Ethics Membership Regulations from Reputable societies with actual critically detailed examples of the artist's skill and their patient experiences goes well beyond the distortions that exist out there from marketing gamesmanship or intermediaries. Such individuals include marketing, web page building, search engine optimizers, reputation managers, and a myriad of I will make a place for myself in the medical market that nobody can do without.

Some of these who have inserted themselves between the craftsman and their patients have been helpful. Others just do not get it and cost the system needlessly. I disagree that all patients need such a counselor or adviser especially when a surgeon is so transparent with their craftsmanship on the Internet. However, not all surgeons show more than a yellow page advertisement. So where does someone go from that type of detail?

I am old school and did it all myself. The surgery, the desktop publishing, the photography, video, web sites, forums, SEO. But few have the skills nor passion to take on such a massive project. It does take some time and perhaps I could have done better with more help. I have seen disasters from other surgeons' misadventures with intermediary help and keep seeing such examples as I continue to try to raise the ethical level of what is good Plastic Surgery, helping others, and systems to evaluate hype and claims of expertise.

I am proud of what I accomplished. The critical analysis of the problems, surgical solutions, and emotions of the experiences with publishing for all to see helped me to evolve a system approach to my own improvement and show others the way I learned to get better. The videos were an awesome tool to let patients explain what happened. If something is better, there should be a way to prove it beyond verbal hype and self proclaimed expertise for any activity. That goes not just for the surgeon, but their staff, optimizers, SEO, web page builders and advisers.That is how I helped my patients establish realistic expectations. Patients were told if their experiences were different than what I was showing to let us know immediately so we could catch and manage that atypical situation / problem. There were few such calls, but that is the power of including the patient as a member of the team for both their own care and validating the methodology.

The purpose of this forum is to let those with the skills and passions demonstrate them. Use them in a public way that others can see. I know my methods evolved that way, and soon, retired, I expect there will be even better ways to do something. By setting up this forum, I hope to still be a part of stimulating that process. We welcome others showing their skills, accomplishments, and how they validate their effectiveness.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Deborah

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »
Dear Dr B

Thank you for your reply.

I agree that information and details should be publicly displayed. It is because of this that my Ask The Therapist page is completely open. It allows patients to ask questions that may be relevant and yet non-medical at the same time.

Many patients find themselves with questions such as: 'how do I cope with healing time'? or just a need to 'share' their experience with others who have been through the same. The issues are not necessarily medical or surgical but are relevant to cosmetic surgery just the same.  I agree that, in an ideal world, there should be no need for patients to see a counsellor before or after cosmetic surgery.

I am in the UK and we have different laws around the advertising of cosmetic surgery and there is so much deflection that patients do wind up with distorted and unrealistic expectations from cosmetic surgery. This is a great pity because, when done well, cosmetic surgery brings great joy to patients.

I am new to your Forum and am still learning my way around. I have run my own forum for 13 years now but I am still not an expert!

I think your site is truly fantastic and I will do my best to get its message out there to anyone who reads my feeds, blogs, sites, etc.

Have a look at one of my blogs if you get some time: cosmeticsupport.blogspot.co.uk

Thank you again for your reply

Deborah

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 11:05:13 AM »
Dear Dr B

Thank you for your reply.

I agree that information and details should be publicly displayed. It is because of this that my Ask The Therapist page is completely open. It allows patients to ask questions that may be relevant and yet non-medical at the same time.

Many patients find themselves with questions such as: 'how do I cope with healing time'? or just a need to 'share' their experience with others who have been through the same. The issues are not necessarily medical or surgical but are relevant to cosmetic surgery just the same.  I agree that, in an ideal world, there should be no need for patients to see a counsellor before or after cosmetic surgery.

I am in the UK and we have different laws around the advertising of cosmetic surgery and there is so much deflection that patients do wind up with distorted and unrealistic expectations from cosmetic surgery. This is a great pity because, when done well, cosmetic surgery brings great joy to patients.

I am new to your Forum and am still learning my way around. I have run my own forum for 13 years now but I am still not an expert!

I think your site is truly fantastic and I will do my best to get its message out there to anyone who reads my feeds, blogs, sites, etc.

Have a look at one of my blogs if you get some time: cosmeticsupport.blogspot.co.uk

Thank you again for your reply

Deborah

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I did see many patients from the UK who preferred my methods.

Travel From UK for Gynecomastia Surgery Experiences

Patient from England Traveling for Dr. Bermant's Belly Button Sculpture of Tumescent Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty

and requests for help such as:

Gynecomastia Forum - Re: Gynecomastia surgery in London

K United Kingdom Chat, Forum, and Group for Patient's Experiences
Revision Otoplasty for Cosmetic Ear Surgery

are but a small sample. Use our Search Tools.

I found no better way to show recovery than the critical documentation of the path my patients took. There are many such galleries specific for problems all over the massive site. Each gallery picture leads to the specific patient's recovery documentation photos and videos.

Bruising Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery

Bruising Swelling Recovery After Tummy Tuck

Bruising and Swelling after Otoplasty

Breast Lift Recovery

are but few of the many examples that can be found. By critically looking at the path between the before and after, I could refine the operation and shorten the recovery. Patients could use the online examples to guage their own progress compared to the examples posted. With the wide range of problems to be treated, variations of specific patient needs, it is not realistic to assume an adviser not familiar with a specific surgeons skills would have anything close to that type of constructive advice as to what to do. For my patients, such advice would be interference and more likely hurt the process of our carefully orchestrated ballet of what to do and not to do after surgery. That is a factor in eliminating the middle person for practices like mine honing the edge of the possible with each patient. I wanted them asking me for any questions, but most questions were already answered several times during my patients' education before the surgery that after surgery questions were quite uncommon.

Here is one excessive example that was just too much fun to edit to a shorter time for one of my

Tummy Tuck Belly Dancer. Her experience spans quite a few pages, but the Belly Dancer Surgery Tummy Tuck Experiences.

The best demonstration was Movies Belly Dancing Recovery After Tummy Tuck where she showed me the fine healing of her Rectus Repair with a belly roll.

Thank you for helping spread the word about the tools and resources which can be found with the search engine or just Internet searches. The deep pages are the power of the content of the site. I know of no others making content like what I have been building.

Check out the Anatomy of A Tummy Tuck showing how I achieved my contouring or

Sagging Stomach Skin Picture Galleries - Documenting Loose Lower Body, & Selecting Surgical Sculpture.

There is just so much on the site now over 16 years in the making. Perhaps the resources will help with showing the possible, what can be done with the right surgeon and techniques.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates