Author Topic: American Board of Cosmetic Surgery/American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surger  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Deborah

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
Dear Dr Bermant

For the purposes of clarity and - for those of us not in the USA - can you explain or describe what the difference is between these two organizations and why a patient may choose one over the other if there is a case for that?

Thank you

Deborah

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: American Board of Cosmetic Surgery/American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Dear Dr Bermant

For the purposes of clarity and - for those of us not in the USA - can you explain or describe what the difference is between these two organizations and why a patient may choose one over the other if there is a case for that?

Thank you

Deborah

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

It can be quite confusing to determine just who is who, and what is what among board certification, society memberships, for the public and I prefer the parent organizations speak for themselves. You are mixing apples and oranges: Board Certification vs Society Membership criteria in my Resources:

How To Pick Your Plastic Surgeon Check Board Certification tab and Organizations on that resource to see the difference.

Board Certification in Plastic Surgery[/url is an extensive rigorous process with extremely demanding criteria to maintain quality of professionals who want to call themselves Plastic Surgeons.

[url=https://www.abplsurg.org/ModDefault.aspx?section=SurgeonSearch]Search to Find if Your Doctor is Board Certified By the American Board of Plastic Surgeons

The American Board of Plastic Surgery Inc. is one of the member boards of the American Board of medical Specialties.

Member Boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties

Setting the Standard for Quality Medical Care

Certification Matters.
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), a not-for-profit organization, assists 24 approved medical specialty boards in the development and use of standards in the ongoing evaluation and certification of physicians. ABMS, recognized as the “gold standard” in physician certification, believes higher standards for physicians means better care for patients.

Who is the ABMS?

Is Your Doctor Board Certified?

The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery is an organization, retired that I am a Life Member.

Here was my listing there:
Plastic Surgeon: Michael Bermant, M.D.

ASAPS American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery statements about the society and tries to clear up the confusion about Board Certification and member boards.

This society is for Plastic surgeons who further specialize in Cosmetic Surgery. Criteria to become a member of the ASAPS is also rigorous. To protect the public these organizations set up Ethics Guidelines and Photographic Standards to guide members about appropriate issues such as marketing. Not all societies have such attention to public protection issues.

The ASPS,

I am also a Life Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or the ASPS.

ASPS Mission Statement largest Plastic Surgery Organization in the world.

Here is my resource about International Societies and Organizations of Plastic Surgeons. Each has their own rules, membership requirements, standards, and features.

There are other surgeons who have set up their own boards and organizations. I defer to the individual Boards and Societies to define the difference in their criteria and what they offer. This is not just an issue of politics, but how restrictive for qualifications is that organization, what type of training, continued education, what standards must that surgeon adhere, what advertising marketing methods can they use, safety issues and so many other factors often found in a Code of Ethics for the public's protection and maintaining high quality.

But for the public trying to learn such issues, I can understand the difficulty with the verbal hand waving. That is a major factor I went with the critical problem solving documentation for that specific surgeon in How to Use Before and After Surgery Pictures as a key element in understanding any particular artist.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
Re: American Board of Cosmetic Surgery/American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Dear Dr Bermant

Thank you

Deborah

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

It can be quite confusing to determine just who is who, and what is what among board certification, society memberships, for the public and I prefer the parent organizations speak for themselves. You are mixing apples and oranges: Board Certification vs Society Membership criteria in my Resources:

How To Pick Your Plastic Surgeon Check Board Certification tab and Organizations on that resource to see the difference.

Board Certification in Plastic Surgery[/url is an extensive rigorous process with extremely demanding criteria to maintain quality of professionals who want to call themselves Plastic Surgeons.

[url=https://www.abplsurg.org/ModDefault.aspx?section=SurgeonSearch]Search to Find if Your Doctor is Board Certified By the American Board of Plastic Surgeons

The American Board of Plastic Surgery Inc. is one of the member boards of the American Board of medical Specialties.

Member Boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties

Setting the Standard for Quality Medical Care

Certification Matters.
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), a not-for-profit organization, assists 24 approved medical specialty boards in the development and use of standards in the ongoing evaluation and certification of physicians. ABMS, recognized as the “gold standard” in physician certification, believes higher standards for physicians means better care for patients.

Who is the ABMS?

Is Your Doctor Board Certified?

The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery is an organization, retired that I am a Life Member.

Here was my listing there:
Plastic Surgeon: Michael Bermant, M.D.

ASAPS American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery statements about the society and tries to clear up the confusion about Board Certification and member boards.

This society is for Plastic surgeons who further specialize in Cosmetic Surgery. Criteria to become a member of the ASAPS is also rigorous. To protect the public these organizations set up Ethics Guidelines and Photographic Standards to guide members about appropriate issues such as marketing. Not all societies have such attention to public protection issues.

The ASPS,

I am also a Life Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or the ASPS.

ASPS Mission Statement largest Plastic Surgery Organization in the world.

Here is my resource about International Societies and Organizations of Plastic Surgeons. Each has their own rules, membership requirements, standards, and features.

There are other surgeons who have set up their own boards and organizations. I defer to the individual Boards and Societies to define the difference in their criteria and what they offer. This is not just an issue of politics, but how restrictive for qualifications is that organization, what type of training, continued education, what standards must that surgeon adhere, what advertising marketing methods can they use, safety issues and so many other factors often found in a Code of Ethics for the public's protection and maintaining high quality.

But for the public trying to learn such issues, I can understand the difficulty with the verbal hand waving. That is a major factor I went with the critical problem solving documentation for that specific surgeon in How to Use Before and After Surgery Pictures as a key element in understanding any particular artist.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon

Discussion continues on a closed Plastic Surgeon Forum. I have asked that they share their teaching comments here for all to learn.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile

Comments and "likes" continue on forums where Plastic Surgeons can put their thoughts that are not visible for the public. I am not sure if the reason they are using those posts for ease, that is what they are reading.  Perhaps they intend to not bring the discussion to a public arena. Perhaps there is another reason, no clue.

This is a potentially politically charged topic that warrants a dialogue about how to educate the public and clear up the confusion of marketing. The issues of How to Pick Your Plastic Surgeon.

the specific subsections are Organizations and Boards

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News