Author Topic: Revision Tummy Tuck - Blood Supply? after Free Floating Belly Button MiniTuck  (Read 6808 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Hi Dr Bermant,
I found your website online when researching "construction of a new belly button". I recently had an umbilical float tummy tuck and the results were not great. My surgeon says he would like to convert my tuck to a standard tummy tuck. Will I lose my belly button or can he construct a new one? My surgeon says it's possible to keep my own belly button but isn't that risky due to compromised blood supply? I'm very concerned and any input you could offer would be very appreciated! Thank you!

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Each surgeon has his or her way of doing surgery, assessing risks, and experiences. The belly button sculpture can demand creative adapting skills based on the problem to be treated, what resources are available, skill of the surgeon, patient issues, After Surgery Compression Garments, Scar Care and so many other factors. Even the choice of After Tummy Tuck Compression Garment can be used to improve the chance of blood supply to tissue.

I never liked the belly button float operation as I thought results I saw of other doctors just did not look good unless the patient had unusual anatomy of a high placed belly button. That is why putting a set of my Standard Before After Tummy Tuck Pictures can help show others your concerns about how it looks. For those coming to me for my help revising their problems, I asked to see the before surgery images and surgical details to better understand where things started. Posting them also can reveal how comprehensive the surgeon's documentation methods were.  I also added for my patients my Tummy Tuck Movies to see how tissues moved, a much more demanding analysis of problem and solution.

Revision of Belly Button After Tummy Tuck can be a complex operation and does indeed depend on blood supply issues for the structures involved. A Tummy Tuck done with "floating" the belly button typically means the attachment to the muscle fascia was divided. The belly button then gets it blood supply from its new attachment. This is a time tested method of tissue transfer, but as an anchor point for the abdominal wall, the question then becomes how well will that regrown blood supply, repair and shape hold up?  Risks are there, who gets away with it, how often, how does it look as the belly moves? These are all unknowns. I preferred for my patients that never had prior surgery to avoid that method to begin with, but that was based on look not for potential revision issues.

I have a really neat sequence of pictures showing the details of Tummy Tuck Anatomy. The old belly button dissection show where I detach the belly button from the rest of the abdominal skin. Unlike the float, this keeps the blood supply intact and provides me with material to shape belly buttons like you can see throughout my site. Later in the demonstration, I show how I used the tissue to form and secure the new tether point important if looking how the belly moves. It can take some time to see the entire operation but the details of sculpture of the belly button with my drawings of the anatomy were a neat project to show such issues. Then analyze the videos before after, not of just that patient but other sculptures I did. Yes, quite a time consuming project, but potentially helpful for someone trying to analyze their problem and then see how well their own results compare to what they were shown by their surgeon or for that matter if available examples of converting a free floating belly button Mini Tuck to their full tummy tuck. This resource showed some of the variations I used during my Tumescent Tummy Tuck.

Once the float is done, one question became what happened to the remaining tissue. If trimmed, is the remaining surface hole too wide or how does it look? I saw unhappy patients after surgery done elsewhere. There would be no reason for the happy ones to come to see me for my help. Here is a resource on How to Evaluate Surgeons' Tummy Tuck Pictures. If surgeons have a good way of doing something, there should be a way demonstrate that skill or method.

You are welcome to post your images and help other understand your concerns and other risk issues. Retired, I no longer offer medical advice nor private correspondence, but I can try to share my knowledge and experience here in this forum, if there are any other questions.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates