Author Topic: Revision Tummy Tuck Forum - Massive Belly Button Complication After Tuck  (Read 8194 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
I am seeing more and more patients complaining about a large belly button deformity after tummy tuck, belly button surgery, and or revision umbilicoplasty belly button surgery by other doctors. There is a basic problem. The diameter of the belly button is so small that the forces from the remaining stomach skin will overcome almost all attempts at trying to make a belly button smaller by only addressing the problem locally (such as removing a ring of skin about the belly button). A dissolving suture is doomed to failure. A superficial permanent stitch has amazing forces to overcome and just gets defeated.

Here is one very complex example made much worse by a burn scar about the failed belly button surgeries done elsewhere. Belly Button Creation During Tummy Tuck Revision. When there is enough skin as a resource and or the defect is not so large as the burn scar, I am normally able to hide the old belly button scar. When I cannot, there then needs to be a vertical scar additional component as in this case.

Revison Tummy Tuck is an option for many such deformities.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline laticia27

• View Profile
Re: Revision Tummy Tuck Forum - Massive Belly Button Complication After Tuck
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 07:08:46 PM »
Hello Dr. Bermant,

That's a amazing result from such a complex problem. With a revised tummy tuck, is the revised belly button included if it draws concern.
I know with most revised TT the incision is below the belly button, can you provide me with your advice on the procedure you implement.

thanks so much in advance.
Shani

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Revision Tummy Tuck Forum - Massive Belly Button Complication After Tuck
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:31:06 PM »
Hello Dr. Bermant,

That's a amazing result from such a complex problem. With a revised tummy tuck, is the revised belly button included if it draws concern.
I know with most revised TT the incision is below the belly button, can you provide me with your advice on the procedure you implement.

thanks so much in advance.
Shani

Thank you for your comments. I do take great pride in my art.

There are many possible components for a Revision Tummy Tuck. Just what should be done is part of the art of surgical sculpture judgment. In general, belly buttons cannot be made smaller once they are too wide without starting afresh. Some scar revisions do not require a complete lower incision.

We are glad to help you explore your concerns during a consultation or a Preliminary Remote Discussion that patients use to minimize travel to Virginia. If interested, Jane is my office manager.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything