Author Topic: Septoplasty Forum - Infection Complication: Concerned About Septal Perforation  (Read 3962 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
I had surgery on March 15 to straighten my deviated septum and open my sinus passages.  From Day 1 the results have been AMAZING, however at my one week checkup my ENT discovered patches of white infection (?) on either side of the septum at the location where the splints were sutured.  He indicated he wasn't sure what it was and that he had never seen anything like it.  What also seemed unusual is that I had been on an antibiotic since the day of the surgery, so it seemed odd to have an infection.  He prescribed Augmentin and Batroban which, by the end of the first day, relieved a ton of the pressure I was still feeling near the tip of my nose.  I presume the moisture it provided is what did the trick.  When I returned for my second follow up two weeks later, the white patches were still there, but had reduced in size considerably.  The main concern now is that it may result in a perforation.  I'm still using the Bactroban three times daily but I do still notice sensitivity (kind of a raw feeling) mostly on the right side which makes me nervous.  Curious if you had ever seen anything like it and have any thoughts on what it might be or how to treat it completely.  I don't go back to the ENT until May 2 and I would really like to avoid a perforation if I can.  The Bactroban doesn't seem to be completely treating the infection (if that is, indeed, what it is).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!   

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I moved away from packing and mechanical splints as much as possible, instead using sutures alone:
Internal Nasal Splints and Packing.  This was for both patient comfort After Septo Rhinoplasty Surgery and lowering Risks of Rhinoplasty of pressure to the mucosa cartilage mucosa structure. Sorry, do not remember having such an issue for my patients. When I was in practice, options for evaluating possible complications depended on cultures, what tissues look like, patient factors like nicotine, smell of the tissue, and many other factors best determined by the examining physician.

Join the forum and discuss what happens. Please let us know how things work out.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty, and Sculpture
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates