Author Topic: Nasal Obstruction Forum - Decongestants Congestion & Laryngopharangyeal Reflux  (Read 4475 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Dr. Bermant I have a couple questions:

1.       I have a deviated septum and was told by my local ENT that one option would be to have have a septoplasty. One curious thing He said to me thou was to AVOID using medications like Flonase to improve nasal congestion and made the claim that it can Actually make things worse. To me this didn’t make much sense? What are your thoughts? I’m not completely blocked so he Said the procedure would be optional, the only downside to not doing it would be sinus infections and PND. Which leads Me to #2

2.       Here’s the second, and hopefully more interesting question. Last year I was diagnosed with Laryngopharangyeal Reflux. I was recently Reviewing the literature on LPR and came across THIS which I thought was MOST interesting http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/778052

This was the part that jumped out at me “If the patient needs to see an allergist, refer the patient to an allergist. If the patient doesn't have adequate postnasal drip control, that needs to be addressed.”

There is also mention of primary postnasal drip mentioned here as well:

http://www.ccjm.org/content/77/5/327.full

“In patients who show no improvement, other causes of symptoms should be explored. Diseases that can mimic LPR include postnasal drip, allergies, sinus inflammation, and various pulmonary diseases.”

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated!

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Minor mechanical airway obstruction can become major with surgery narrowing the nose or making a big nose smaller. Fixing such issues became part of the required surgical planning if a patient wanted to have their nose shape changed.

For my patients considering Rhinoplasty and Nasal Obstruction, I managed the cosmetic and mechanical obstruction issues and deferred medical management issues to doctors who specialized in such treatments. Each of my Rhinoplasty patients had extensive history forms to complete and I carefully examined each patient including endoscopic evaluation. Those with active irritated or boggy nasal linings were not accepted for my surgery nor treatment due to potential healing and comfort issues.

Sorry, I will defer both questions to others who specialized managing those conditions.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty, and Sculpture
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates