Author Topic: how long irritating painful breathing can last after rhinoplasty?  (Read 8061 times)

Offline mayst2008

• View Profile
I had rhinoplasty 2 wks ago. I had some pain initially that went away after couple days. However, after the splint was removed by 1-2 days, I started to have severe pain in my left side (which surgeon said was where incisions were). Pain is constant, irritating, burning sensation, air feels cold on breathing, increases at night, I feel no resistence for air to pass through especially on left side. I'm unable to sleep for the most part because of pain. Though it has been somewhat less from time to time but pain is always there, I'm less aware of it when I'm busy. I contacted the surgeon when pain started a wk ago, he checked for abcess and other signs, said nothing is wrong. I had very minimal swelling after surgery and I was able to breath almost right away after splint removal.
I'm a little concerned about the pain, the people I know who had similar surgeries, didn't have such pain, even surgeries that were done with the same surgeon. I wonder if there is any answeres about the cause and possible treatment.
Thank you.

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: how long irritating painful breathing can last after rhinoplasty?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 01:14:53 AM »
I had rhinoplasty 2 wks ago. I had some pain initially that went away after couple days. However, after the splint was removed by 1-2 days, I started to have severe pain in my left side (which surgeon said was where incisions were). Pain is constant, irritating, burning sensation, air feels cold on breathing, increases at night, I feel no resistence for air to pass through especially on left side. I'm unable to sleep for the most part because of pain. Though it has been somewhat less from time to time but pain is always there, I'm less aware of it when I'm busy. I contacted the surgeon when pain started a wk ago, he checked for abcess and other signs, said nothing is wrong. I had very minimal swelling after surgery and I was able to breath almost right away after splint removal.
I'm a little concerned about the pain, the people I know who had similar surgeries, didn't have such pain, even surgeries that were done with the same surgeon. I wonder if there is any answeres about the cause and possible treatment.
Thank you.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Each surgeon has his / her method and techniques. After Rhinoplasty Discomfort and Swelling are very much technique related. I worked very hard to minimize the Swelling After Rhinoplasty and therefore increase my patients comfort with use of this Swiss Therapy Gel Mask. That revolutionized my patient's comfort such that they rarely discussed discomfort after surgery. We had one patient who stopped the therapy after the third day (normally enough for most) and she said that her discomfort started as soon as she stopped. She was unusual needing a longer time for this trick to be needed.

Besides swelling, the amount of raw exposed tissue inside the nose can cause stinging pain / discomfort, raw feeling. The more damage done to the mucosa lining of the nose, the longer this layer needs to heal. That became so much less frequent with the tiny osteotomes bone cutting tools I moved to just to avoid this problem. More work, harder to use, they had to be hand sharpened before each operation, expensive, but well worth it, in my opinion.

Packing was another major cause for pressure discomfort. I rarely used packing over time. I found by evolving my technique and minimizing the use of packing, it made my patients so much more comfortable. Again more work, extra time, added tools to achieve, but well worth it for a surgeon who was trying to maximize his patients' comfort after surgery.

Swelling that blocks the drainage openings for the sinus can cause sinus tenderness and pain. Injury back here from facial fractures had that risk. Keeping the basic swelling down, and that obstruction was something I just did not see.

Injured nerves can also cause pain as they try to heal, but the timing tends to be longer after the trauma.

My website was key to education for what my patients were to expect. If their experiences were not similar, they were told to call me so that I could evaluate their situation and see what needed to be done. This is an issue best managed by a doctor who is familiar with the original problem, what was done, typical progress for their patients, and the in office re-evaluation for anything out of the normal range. This rarely happened for my techniques, but do anything enough and exceptions happen. Sometimes there is no reason found.

Welcome to our forum. We hope that you feel better and keep us posted on your progress.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty, and Sculpture
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates